Behringer ada8000 users, help wanted

karlocheech

I simply want to record live gigs & live practices for reference sake.
I have a mackie 1604 with 6 xlr inputs for live in i bought 2 adat's that fit's it all the rack gear we already have & figure that a soundman could symply insert a new cassette & press record each at set.. because of the 6 inputs i want to get a ada8000 to go into the adat then to the Mackie highs Z
inputs how can i set this up & from past post i got a 4 ch insert snake to
use as a go to adat & back to the board input the ada8000 would be probably for recording purpose can all this be done.
Questions will arise as the thread goes on

Thanks Karlo

PS: Please make this user friendly, plug and play & K.I.S.S. if possible ...
Last year i got a Roland 880 the inputs where High Z i could only record 4 tracks at a time it was to complicated to operate so i sold it.
i almost got a Yamaha md8, 2 mixers to carry around, so finally i got the adat..

Use the ADAT digital in/out (also called 'lightpipe') with the 2nd ADAT. Two dedicated optical cables will be all you need.

A word of warning --- live sound men are not in the business of hooking up recording gear, and being asked to do so frequently makes them crabby and mean and generally uncooperative. Unless you have a very good understanding of what goes where and why or can hire someone who does, it's probably best to concentrate on a different aspect of your live show than accumulating a pile of live tapes. If you really want them for 'reference' get a second hand mini-disc with a stereo mic and have a friend in the audience set the level so the clip light is not going on. Mini discs are reusable and can easily be used for the next gig.

8 track & more

I have done for many years 4 track tape, dat tape but i find if one thing overloads or does not sound good i cant attenuate that particular track, this is why i want to go a bit further 8 track & have a better mix for demo's ect...
Question:

So you can place your mics in the ada8000 then "lightpipe" to the adat is there a delay in this configuration,
can i go back out to the board to broadcast in to the PA or is it to slow,, after can i do the oposite & lightpipe
back from the aDAT to the ada8000 then to a computer what does it take.....

Mini discs are cool but its 2 tracks i almost like i wrote before got a MD8 but
I find the adat tape is pretty straight forward press & record this is why i chose it. everybody has a video..
As for the connecting part i will do it, this is why I'm inquiring we don't have roadies we do all are self's
Thanks Karlo

is there a delay in this configuration
No delay to speak of. Lightpipe is a fast interface.
after can i do the oposite & lightpipe
back from the aDAT to the ada8000 then to a computer what does it take.....
The best way to do this is to buy a computer interface with an ADAT optical input and take the tracks straight off of the ADAT. The Presonus FirePod is one that has ADAT i/o and allows eight inputs at a time, so you'll have ready access to the software tracks once you configure the FirePod.
everybody has a video..
This comment shows that you may have a basic misunderstanding of the ADAT format. It uses S-VHS video cassettes, true, but you need to format them before using them which makes them incompatable with standard VCR's. If you're thinking that the tapes you make with your ADA8000 and ADAT will be compatable with any ol' VHS VCR I'm afraid that's just not the case...

If you're thinking that the tapes you make with your ADA8000 and ADAT will be compatable with any ol' VHS VCR I'm afraid that's just not the case...[/QUOTE]
I Know...... that..... i meen every one can pop a cassette & press rec i already have the adat tapes & there already formated or i format them in advance.. the subject is the ada8000 what can you do with it...
Thanks i will look in to the hardware involved ...i almost got the Sonorus Studi/o Audio Card for Dual ADAT connect, but was not sure.. that will be my next subjet for now i want an easy way to get the sound to the adat,
ounce on the adat i could always for now route through the mixer to make my mixes... later i will send to my computer for mastering...
Thanks Karlo

I've never claimed to have 'all the answers', just that there is no delay when a lightpipe interface is correctly configured.

Until you get the answer that you want you'll never be satisfied. I should have recognized your type from your confused questions and the defensiveness showed by your followups. You say you like humility. Show a little bit yourself.

I've used the ADAT format since it was first available in the early 90's and own an ADA8000. If that's not enough to let me 'write on subject' than I wasted my time answering your questions

whooooo You seem pissed off for some reason or another .... i thank you for your support in the pass thred if i seem confused ...sorry its because i am confused ...
I have benn reading these threds for a long time & decided to join last week & already got one pissed at me,, You have this terrebly wrong ....... for some reason
Thanks again & peace Karlo

Boy I hate it when people delete their posts, as followup posts never really makes much sense then. Karlo, be sure to use the "quote" button when you are quoting a post in your response. That way the content of the original post and who wrote it are clear.

To respond to your original post, I'm not really sure why you want to use an ADA8000 with your ADAT's in first place. Why not just patch your cables directly into the back of the ADAT's?

Also, the ADA8000 is 24 bit technology. Are your ADAT's 24 bit also? I know that when ADAT's first came out they were 16 bit, then 20 bit. I believe 24 bit versions were made as well, but I'm not sure of that. It's important, because if you use a 24bit converter like the ADA8000 with a 16 or 20 bit device like an ADAT, you'll get truncation errors.

Also, I personally would *not* run my show through the ADAT and then to the house board. What I would do is run to the board as usual and then take inserts out of the board to the ADAT.

As far as asking live sound guys to make a recording of the show off their board, I've never really had one give the negative response that ssscientist describes. Most sound guys I've worked with have been pretty cool about that kind of thing. If you run across one that is a bit crabby, a six pack of their favorite ice cold beer (or a $$ tip) should get them into the right frame of mind to help you out! Never underestimate the power of being especially nice to someone. :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the info i will get better on post as i go on

SonicAlbert said:
Boy I hate it when people delete their posts, as followup posts never really makes much sense then. Karlo, be sure to use the "quote" button when you are quoting a post in your response. That way the content of the original post and who wrote it are clear.

To respond to your original post, I'm not really sure why you want to use an ADA8000 with your ADAT's in first place. Why not just patch your cables directly into the back of the ADAT's?

Also, the ADA8000 is 24 bit technology. Are your ADAT's 24 bit also? I know that when ADAT's first came out they were 16 bit, then 20 bit. I believe 24 bit versions were made as well, but I'm not sure of that. It's important, because if you use a 24bit converter like the ADA8000 with a 16 or 20 bit device like an ADAT, you'll get truncation errors.

Also, I personally would *not* run my show through the ADAT and then to the house board. What I would do is run to the board as usual and then take inserts out of the board to the ADAT.

As far as asking live sound guys to make a recording of the show off their board, I've never really had one give the negative response that ssscientist describes. Most sound guys I've worked with have been pretty cool about that kind of thing. If you run across one that is a bit crabby, a six pack of their favorite ice cold beer (or a $$ tip) should get them into the right frame of mind to help you out! Never underestimate the power of being especially nice to someone. :D
Thanks my adat's are 16bit there the blackface
model i got for 200$ i'm no professional i like these because there rackmount
& seemm simple...The ada8000 was just to get more input chanels to the adat's it seem to be a good idea but was not shure ...i just bid on one ..
if there not compatible i'm in big #$^% ..well you learn from your mistakes..
sorry about misleading you i this forums it was a cross post & came back to
deal with my problem in my post, sorry ...
I in the quote section hopping im doing it right ,if not i will learn as i progress

Thanks a million on your reply SonicAlbert if my post seem a litle "confused" or misspellt, english is not my mother toung
Thanks again & Peace Karlo

Yeah, if you can avoid crossposting quotes across to differnet threads it would a good thing.

Crossposting like that is confusing for readers and wasn't fair to ssscientist because his response was taken out of context. If you want to respond to his post, do it in the thread it orginally came from. The way your post originally read I thought ssscientist had deleted the post you had quoted, but in fact I later stumbled across his response in a different thread.

If you put the 24 bit ADA8000 in front of the 16 bit ADAT machine you wil be truncating 8 bits off the data stream without dithering. I personally would just go directly into the ADAT.

I'm not sure if I understood you post correctly, but adding the ADA8000 will not get more inputs to the ADAT. It's an 8 channel device. I may not be understanding what you mean though.

SonicAlbert said:
I'm not sure if I understood you post correctly, but adding the ADA8000 will not get more inputs to the ADAT. It's an 8 channel device. I may not be understanding what you mean though.
Hope i'm doing OK on the quote thing...
I now have a Mackie cr1604 it has 6 lowz inputs i was thinking to use the insert as an in & out ..something i asked in a other post.. if i could repeat
"if you use the insert you cut out the chanel so i was going to come back
from the adat in to the chanel if that's cool" for the rest of my board there highZ inputs so tought maybe i could use the ada8000 as mic inputs then go
to the adat then from the adat back to the high inputs of the mackie...
these 8 tracks that i am talking are tracks that dont need much pa volume if anny drums,guit,bass but want to be recorded ina track... does all this seem
like nonsence or is there a better way... What i want to get is individual tracks on the adat that i could tweek ...with as for the soundman we have ours he likes beer & he is verry friendly
& depending where we play he coordinates with the crew that we rent from..
Thanks again hoping this is clearer in some whay...
Karlo

Thanks for using the quotes feature, that was perfect!

The Mackie CR1604 has eight direct outs doesn't it? That's what I would use actually. Feed the ADAT from the direct outs and you won't have to worry about the insert loop at all. That is, if I remember how that board works (I used to have three of them!).

Your right

SonicAlbert said:
Thanks for using the quotes feature, that was perfect!

The Mackie CR1604 has eight direct outs doesn't it? That's what I would use actually. Feed the ADAT from the direct outs and you won't have to worry about the insert loop at all. That is, if I remember how that board works (I used to have three of them!).
Thanks i just got this board ...by reading the spects on the mackie "first click out no signal interuption" i was pushing all the way in.... great Healp these little things sometimes help alot thanks...
The other i wont always have this board i will use this for home & maybe a few small gigs ...but when it wont be my board, i was thinking of a way to be paralell by briging my rack & just intercept... also i have 2 adats just thinking i
could use both without an extra board....
So i should think of anothe way insted off the ada8000 maybe use it just for
the 8 inputs & outputs as preamps for now....
Thanks Karlo
PS: How do i keep track off my threads i alwas go back to the search mode..

Most boards will have direct outs, so you should be able to simply cable off whatever board is being used at the venue. You might want to bring your own 8 channel snake though, so you don't ahve to rely on whatever the sound guy has or doesn't have.

Near the top of this page you'll see a little box that says "Thread Tools". You can subscribe to the thread there, and can select an option to be notified by email if there is a new post added.

SonicAlbert said:
Most boards will have direct outs, so you should be able to simply cable off whatever board is being used at the venue. You might want to bring your own 8 channel snake though, so you don't ahve to rely on whatever the sound guy has or doesn't have.
So i should forget the ada8000? not even as a preamp input if i dont have enought out on my board what would be the best way to add tracks..
Thanks again for your patients
PS: what is reppower? i went to faq could not find the anser i dont even know what BBS stands for ...

If you need more preamps cheap it would probably be a decent choice. And you get the ADAT interface as well, which could be handy in a lot of situations.

I always try to sort out a solution first that doesn't involve buying more gear! So using direct outs seemed like it could work for you without having to put up more money. But if you have a need for more preamps and possibly the ADAT interface, then it might be a good buy. I can't make that judgement though.

REP power is that little scale of justice icon at the upper right of each message window. Basically, it allows you to reward people with REP points (reputation points) if you like their post. You can also punish people with negative reputation points if you wish. However, you can't give or take away points until you have some "chicklets" of your own. That takes a little bit of time to accumulate.

SonicAlbert said:
REP power is that little scale of justice icon at the upper right of each message window. Basically, it allows you to reward people with REP points (reputation points) if you like their post. You can also punish people with negative reputation points if you wish. However, you can't give or take away points until you have some "chicklets" of your own. That takes a little bit of time to accumulate.
something like this will help me advance Thanks again Karlo

Back