BBE Sonic Maximzers / Aphex Aural Exciters

suprstar

It aint ez being green
I'm finding mixed reviews, what you guys think about these things? There's a gazillion of em for sale on ebay super cheap, which lead me to beleive ppl don't like em and can't get rid of em..

They tend to make things seem overly bright. The biggest problem is they do it in such a way that you get used to hearing things that way. It's addictive and makes you seem like a deaf idiot to anyone else that listens to your stuff.

I have a BBE MaxCom which is an optical compresser with a maximizer option built in. $200 new and has two channels. It's a great live mix compresser. Occasionally I have used the maximizer thingie for live sound, but a little goes a long way. It's like an aggressive preset EQ. I have had good luck with the unit using it as a compresser though.

Would not even think of using it in connection with recording.

I see people tripping over each other to bid the damned things up to $150 or more on Ebay. That doesn't exactly sound like they can't get rid of them.

If I had to choose though ..... I would go with the Aphex. Has a bit more controll.

I've seen the BBE used in recording to boost the kick and snare channels ~ nothing to right home about. But kind of cool at the same time.

:cool:

Wait a minute! I've got an Aphex 204 Dual Channel Aural Exciter and Optical Big Bottom enhancer and I frikkin' love the thing!! For starters, it's silver--really adds some contrast to the rack it's in (the rest of that rack is black). It's ten knobs are all the same size--very clean and balanced looking. Most of the other rack gear is all scattered looking with big knobs here, little knobs there--sheesh! And it's got three--not two, but three!--lights. One for each channel--to let you know it's working it's magic, and a power light! You can't beat a power light! I just love the way this thing looks!

If I ever actually run any sound through it, I'll let you know how it sounds.

Wait a minute! I've got an Aphex 204 Dual Channel Aural Exciter and Optical Big Bottom enhancer and I frikkin' love the thing!! For starters, it's silver--really adds some contrast to the rack it's in (the rest of that rack is black). It's ten knobs are all the same size--very clean and balanced looking. Most of the other rack gear is all scattered looking with big knobs here, little knobs there--sheesh! And it's got three--not two, but three!--lights. One for each channel--to let you know it's working it's magic, and a power light! You can't beat a power light! I just love the way this thing looks!

If I ever actually run any sound through it, I'll let you know how it sounds.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to WhiteStrat again.

It's a tool, that's all. It can be used horribly...like using an acetylene torch to solder with.
I've had one and, in spite of the naysayers, it can be handy. I used to do a fair amount of work in other studios back in the 90's. I would travel with a 4 rack space skb case. In it was an old, original model BBE 802 dual channel and a Behringer Edison Stereo Enhancer. Both of these are dangerous pieces of gear as they exhibit a suck to success ratio of 150:1. However, I was very good with both. I had many a house engineer ask me after a session what was in that case. When I showed them, you could actually see the letters "WTF" appear over their head. More than one of them added them to their racks afterward.
Again, it's just a tool to use when your ear is looking for something on the high end. I prefer the BBE as it doesn't synthesize additional frequencies as the Aphex does.
Now that I'm in DAW land, I don't own either. But when mastering, I will occasionally use a plugin that provides the same lift. It's very, very easy to overuse tho.

lol @ WS - if nothing else maybe I'll just get someone to sell me a faceplate, for decor :D I have 3 8-12u racks, with more than 1/2 the spaces empty.

BBE has a ton of different models, not sure what the difference is between em. But the completed auctions are showing anywhere from $20-80. If I can get one for $20 what the hell, why not.. The aphex ones look a little more expensive. I'd think I'd be using it for live use anyway, (probably) not recording. I think it sounds more live-use oriented, or maybe lightly across a master bus or something? Maybe just dink around with it a little to try it out..

Acetylene eh... That gives me an idea :D

lol @ WS - if nothing else maybe I'll just get someone to sell me a faceplate, for decor :D I have 3 8-12u racks, with more than 1/2 the spaces empty.

BBE has a ton of different models, not sure what the difference is between em. But the completed auctions are showing anywhere from $20-80. If I can get one for $20 what the hell, why not.. The aphex ones look a little more expensive. I'd think I'd be using it for live use anyway, (probably) not recording. I think it sounds more live-use oriented, or maybe lightly across a master bus or something? Maybe just dink around with it a little to try it out..

*Protip* Hand grenades make short work of rewiring patchbays.:D

I have one ...... it makes a good stand for my DAT walkman when I'm downloading recordings I've made with it.
Like Whitestrat, I've never even plugged it in .......... don't remember why I bought it ...... must have been a sale. Been hanging with my wife too much!
:D

Not to sure but I think the difference is the in/out connections ... rca, 1/4, trs, xlr.

:cool:

Back