audio interface help: m-audio fast track MKII USB vs Tascam US122 MKII USB

mirth

good day

background: my focus will be vocal recording and my current setup includes pc + berhinger xenyx 802 mixer + technica at2020 mic (also have a mxl v67g) and i want to add a cheap audio interface to my setup and i have come down to two options ie m-audio fast track MKII USB and the Tascam US122 MKII

questions
i. is the avid recording studioand the M-Audio Fast Track MKII one and the same or how are they different

ii. which is better as far as sound quality for vocal recording goes m-audio fast track MKII USB vs the Tascam US122 MKII

iii. is it safe to assume that i can connect either 1 to my behringer xenyx 802?

Thanks in advance

1. They're the same thing. Avid have owned M Audio for several years but they're starting to market the gear under the Avid name and messing around with the names of things.

2. With the entry grade mics you have I doubt you'll hear any difference between the M Audio and the Tascam.

3. No. The Fast Track Mk. II only has one mic input and one instrument input. You need two line inputs to link the main outs of your mixer into the interface--which pushes you towards the Tascam which has the inputs you need. However, have a read of the stickies in the newbie forum and decide if you really need your mixer--it's not necessary if you're only recording with one or two mics--and the quality of the interface mic pre amp(s) will be a lot better than a cheap and cheerful mixer like a Behringer.

Back