ARIA studiotrack 4 R504

wolf sandwich

a friend of mine just "inherited" one of these (ARIA studiotrack 4 R504), and i'm having a lot of trouble finding any information on it. it's an older, rack mounted four track that seems to be in good condition. any information would be GREATLY appreciated.

thanks.

Woah! I had an ARIA Studiotrack IIII pass through my hands recently. Actually I still own it, but I'm trying to sell it so it's in the store. I couldn't find anything about it either. I think you probably have the exact same model.

The logo says ARIA- but if you look, on the back it says Arai and Co. So try searching Arai and Aria. As far as I can tell it's a Japanese unit, built like a tank. I have no clue how old it is- everyone that I've asked has been stumped! With a good mixer and some outboard gear it will defintly give you some good routing options with it's effect send on each channel- main and monitor outs (all RCA).

The thing sounds very different than my TASCAM. The only thing that bummed me out is that there is no noise reduction. I got it planning to use it to bouce tracks back and forth and too try and pull of some other tricks, but with no noise reduction, it didn't work so well for me. I'd still keep it around but I'm behind on my bills and I don't really need it right now.

I recorded very little on it while I had it actually. but what I did record on it sounded real nice and fat, very saturated sound. For my Rhodes it worked really well. I didn't like it at all for acoustic guitar :( The electic tones I got were nice though.

I used the mic pres on it for micing drums, sending it to a compressor and then into the TASCAM, snare and the big tom specifically. I liked the crunchyness on the snare, and on the big tom (22" gong drum) it accentuated the high overtones a little more and it was less flabby- which is a good flavor for that drum. If I kept it it would be for those grungy mic pres.

If you find out anything about it let me know. I'd be very intrested.

I hope your friend can get some good use out of it. Just clean the heads and demagnitize. Hopefully the heads are still in good shape.

-jhe

[This message has been edited by James HE (edited 05-09-2000).]

I highly recommend realigning the heads and rebiasing it too. What's the tape width and speed? If it's 1/4", then I recommend you bias it to 400nWb/m = 0 VU and use Quantegy GP9 tape. This will solve the big problem of noise.

RE- it's a casette four track. So what do you mean by re-biasing the heads- just curious.

-jhe

well, it's good to know that someone else has seen one of these. i have found NO other information. fortunately, it works just like any other four track, so i could show my friend how to use it. the conflicting company names on the front/back of the unit were amusing. it was free to him, as a friend of a friend was upgrading his studio and didn't have room for the mysterious box. but like i said, it works great, and that's all that matters at this point.

James HE:

Oops, never mind...

To bias is to internally calabrate the recorder so to speak. It determines how much signal equals zero since different tape models are designed to handle different amounts of signal.

I purchased one of these brand new back in 1986. Alas, it was stolen along with a vintage '75 Strat and about $2000+ worth of other equipment. However, I found it to be an excellent peice of engineering. One thing I like best about it was the internal weighted flywheel running at a constant speed making it so that when you started the tape, it would ramp up to full speed almost instantly. The recorder uses standard cassette tapes. At the time I was using the chrome tapes available from THC.

studiotrack 4

Ha! I just bought one at a resale shop for $18.- Looks clean and everything seems to work on it! Anybody know how much they went for new?

Back