Anyone used a Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro?

Melvin McSnatch

Hey all,

I'm getting a lot of noise through my Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro's XLR jacks. I need to use it because my Zoom R16 interface won't push enough gain for an SM48. I have everything plugged into a powerstrip so I don't think it's groundloop. Has anyone else used the VLZ Pro stuff? Are they just poor preamps or is something wrong? Did I forget to turn it off and on again? Any help would be appreciated.

I use a 1604VLZ pro ..... same thing with more channels. I don't notice any unusual noise with it.

Turning it off and back on won't do anything ..... it's not a 'puter. There's nothing to reboot there.

There's lots of things that can introduce noise into the chain.

A little more detail on the noise and the rest of the chain and how you have the mixer hooked to the Zoom.

SM48 is a pretty standard type of dynamic ....... there's no reason a Zoom won't work with one of those ........ I'm thinking it's more likely there's a problem with the Zoom or how you're setting it.

Thanks for the reply. I'll get back to my mixer when I can to describe the noise.

SM48 (also EV ND468s) XLR to the Mackie. Channel insert to the Zoom input. Tried a few channels on both, same problem.

The SM48 barely registered at full gain on the Zoom, which isn't a problem I've had with the 468's or a borrowed 57. Maybe it's a bad mic?, but works fine in the Mackie except for the noise.

I know it's not a computer- there's no place to stick the DOS ;)

We've got a 1604. That one's noisy, but it's been through hell (before we got it.) Decided to pay someone else to clean it out, way too many nooks and crannies. I'll try to remember to let you know how it sounds after it's bath.

Thanks for the reply. I'll get back to my mixer when I can to describe the noise.

SM48 (also EV ND468s) XLR to the Mackie. Channel insert to the Zoom input. Tried a few channels on both, same problem.

The SM48 barely registered at full gain on the Zoom, which isn't a problem I've had with the 468's or a borrowed 57. Maybe it's a bad mic?, but works fine in the Mackie except for the noise.

I know it's not a computer- there's no place to stick the DOS ;)

So if your going insert out of the mackie -- the only thing your hitting is the preamp, right?

Have you performed the PFL routine for your mic? If not, you should. The only thing in the Mackie that's going to affect your insert send signal is the pad/input knob. Your signal should be pre-fader, pre-EQ and pre-aux and dry.

Paj
8^)

Back