amp for stage monitors??

tribass3

Hey everyone just wondering what your thoughts are on using a Samson Servo 240 to push my two community MVP28 stage monitors. Now i know the Samson is rated @ 4 ohms and my community's are 8ohms. any thoughts thanks.

Don't worry about the impedance, the 4ohm spec is just the minimum impedance per channel for the amp. Running an 8ohm speaker on each channel won't be a problem. It's power output will roughly be cut in half, making it what, 60-70 watts per channel? If so, the amp doesn't have nearly enough power to drive those speakers to full volume. Whether or not it has enough to get them loud enough for you, that will be up to you to decide by trying. Take care not to clip the amp too much.

that samson is basicly a mid-fi amp with rack mounts.... if your gonna be using it out on gig's with any regularity do your self a favor and check into the lower end Crown and QSC... they start around $300...

A neighbour of mine has a older Cintronic PPX450 for $100. is this good and what do you think about this pushing my 2 community MVP 28's? thanks.

Last edited:
The MVP28 is rated at 150W RMS, 375W program, and Community recommends an amplifier that provides 0.80 to 1.25 times the program rating. That means you need between 300 and 500 watts per speaker. Monitors are very important so don't get cheap. Buy the best amp that you can afford.

I understand what your saying about cheaping out but we only play out using the monitors a couple of times a year mostly our gigs are small enough that we just use mains with a nady XA1100 amp.

Back