AKG 240S headphones and that damn cable!!

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Guys,

There's not a dedicated "headphones" forum so I'll try here and see what happens..;)

Here's the situation... The cable for the so called "new and improved" K240s cans, which I bought new, has broke near the base of the xlr connector. It's a really flimsy built so I'm not surprised.

The replacement part is like $30 but why should I get it, if it doesn't solve the original quality of the component in the first place. I thus am looking for something else, perhaps a better quality mini xlr to stereo mini jack replacement. I've enclosed a couple of links, of the original and also of something I've found (as possible alternative).

The original AKG EK 300:
http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/product_view.cgi?products_id=6999

Hosa XLR-Mini-jack (scroll down a bit) :
http://www.dvshop.ca/cables/xlr.html

I need you guys to help me out and suggest something ... or am I stuck with the cheap AKG cable?

THANKS!!:)

Last edited:
I'm kind of suprised you've had troubles with that cable. My dad has had the old 240M for like 100 years. They are tripped over all the time, and one ear finally died recently, but it was an easy soldering job. I have the same one has you, and they are tripped over all the time too. One time my vocalist tripped on them and the mini connecter bent a little, but they are still fine.

I'm kind of suprised you've had troubles with that cable. My dad has had the old 240M for like 100 years. They are tripped over all the time, and one ear finally died recently, but it was an easy soldering job. I have the same one has you, and they are tripped over all the time too. One time my vocalist tripped on them and the mini connecter bent a little, but they are still fine.

Oh no, the ones I have are the 240S which have the removable cable, the new version of the classic 240 Monitor. That latter ones had a much better quality cable and I've had them for many years (stupidly I sold 'em) so I agree but the ones I have now are different. The priopriatery cable simply sucks shit. But wait, you said you also have the ones I have? The 240S with the mini xlr cable? Hmm, maybe I had a bad unit.:confused: Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Cables

I have a pair of K171's that I just love.

The first link you gave about the EK 300 cable is good. The second link is not the desired cable you want.

You could also hardwire a different cable into place, a coiled cable or even a different size. Just make sure you use the right cable with the correct impedance.

Pro-Audio hardware will always cost more than the consumer hardware. I see the cable link you gave above is a little over $20, that's not bad for a cable with a mini-XLR.

Back