Advice on a Stereo Power Amp and Speaker Cabinet

Lun

I own a Digitech RP20 Multi-effects processor(floorboard) and it sounds great when I plug my headphones in and play something. However, my little Peavy Blazer amp cannot handle it at all. I'm looking for some more power and also want to take advantage of the RPG20's stereo capabilities. I was looking into getting something like the Marshall 8008 Valvestate Power Amp and perhaps the Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet. I'm looking to spend about $200 on the power amp, and up to about $550 on the cabinet. I don't know much about power amps or cabinets so I would appreciate any suggestions.

OK, I'll bite...

What good is a stereo amp with one cabinet?

What do you want to do with your amp, anyway? Gig, record, what? And what kind of music are you playing?

Most people who get stereo amps buy rackmount power amps and two cabinets, letting their processor and effects give them their sound. You might also look into...what the heck was it that I almost bought...oh yeah, a Gallien-Kruger. Try to find one used, in good shape of course...

I doubt that you will find a stereo power amp for $200. I use a Crate SPA-200 which is cheap... I don't remember exactly how much it cost but it had to be cheap for me to buy it... It delivers 100 watts per channel which I run through a marshall 4X12 and a Hiwatt 2X15. I dont use stereo FX, I just like the low end of the 15's paired with the mids of the 12's.

S8-N

A cabnet with 2 speakers is a cabnet with 2 speakers. A stereo setup is 2 amps, or cabnets, which sound really cool live on both sides of the stage, especially with only one guitarrist. It will sound cool for recording, but will cost a good amount of money.

I have seen several amps out there that are stereo for around $200... solid state and used of course. Carvin has a 150 watt amp for just a little over $200 (new). Although you can find speaker cabinets out there that are stereo, you won't get much "Stereo" effect because the they are mounted together (very little separation). If you want a great "Stereo" effect, then you should look into getting two separate cabinets. For my rig I have two 1 - 12" cabinets powered by one stereo amp.

PS: If each cabinet is made from a different company, then you can increase your "Stereo" effect. Use the volume knob on the power amp to level the two cabinets out if they seem unbalanced.

[This message has been edited by Fishmed (edited 12-09-1999).]

Ok, thanks for the great advice everyone. In answer to your questions Draqon:

1) I was going to use a cabinent with stereo capabilities(4x12), but obviously that won't bring out the stereo effect that I'm looking for.

2) I want to Gig and record! Which one is more important? Ummm... I'm not sure at this point.

3)I play rock music mainly. I like to experiment so I go from the light stuff to the hardcore thrash.

Back