Advice on new studio

darrvid

Ok, after reading through this site, I've decided on gear for my first home studio. Tell me what you think, and any areas I might be going wrong. I'll probably be getting the inspire and rp5's tomarrow. Its based off my laptop which has 1 gig ram and Semperon 3000.

Gear I'm getting-
Presonus Inspire $200
KRK RP5 monitors (pair) $200 (@$100 a piece)
Marshall mxl v67 mic (for vocals) $100
Shure sm57 mic (everything else) $100
Pop filter Free, DIY
Mic stand dont know price, just noticed I'd need one

Gear I already have-
POD 2.0
Fantom x-8 keyboard
Seinheisser closed headphones
guitar amps and such

So I'm dropping $600 for this basic setup (yikes that adds up quick). Seem like a decent learning setup? Anything I'm missing? Should this be in a different forum? :cool:

Anyway, all input is welcome

I'm sure some people will tell you what to change, but I think you're fine. In time you will upgrade what you want when you feel the need to grow.

mithra6 said:
I'm sure some people will tell you what to change, but I think you're fine. In time you will upgrade what you want when you feel the need to grow.
I agree, if you're just starting out, go for affordability first. If you're not a pro studio engineer, then you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference in the sound quality, etc.. of anything else.

If you can go to a store that has a mic room with various mics up for testing that would be great. I think it is almost impossible to know which mic is good for your voice (or anyone's voice) without listening first, so if possible try out a bunch of mics before buying.

I've been reading some positive reviews lately about the MXL V57M for vocals, which actually costs less than the V67.

A good mic for a little above $200 is the Audio Technica AT4040.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you can put a little extra toward the vocal mic, it will pay dividends later.

Back