You probably knew this, but...

PhilGood

Juice box hero
Neil Peart's last name is pronounced "peert" Like "beer". He recently moved here to Santa Monica and a friend of mine helped with the Paragon line for Sabian.

Three beers made me think you'd care!

Phil

I didn't know that, I just assumed thats how it was done. And a few cans of confidence never hurt anyone!

That's the myth I'm a-bustin'...

I also have it on tape from the horses mouth! (That horse being Bob Coburn in a radio interview with Neil.)

Thats an awesome interview!
How's he doing? Is he still Riding the BMW?
My friend used to work at the shop up in Seattle that tuned his bike up.
I know everybody will argue with me but I'm his biggest fan!!!!
I have a Tama Banner in my studio with him playing on a dock I think in
"Lakeside Park." Toronto.
He's not only a great drummer/percussionist but an awesome lyricist...
HAIL NEIL!!!! :)

I'm sure he rides the bike alot. Santa Monica's got tons of places to ride! I'll have to ask my friend. I think he moved here to help him get over his loss. That was years ago, though.

As for lyrics, he is a god! I wish more writers thought on his level. He's also a stickler for spelling and grammer, so mind your P's and Q's in case he's watching. I read once where he gave away an old kit (believe it was the 'exit stage left' tour) based on an essay contest. I'll have to confirm that, though.

English is such a wonderful language. Pity we have to 'F' it up with all the slang and jargon that's out now. There's no other culture in the world that would disrespect it's own language the way we do...

Last edited:
I heard that he wiped off all the logo's on his cymbals except the Paragon line.
Thats why their light gold!
In his interviews he's very articulate!
I think face to face with him I would start stuttering out of nervousness. :)
Maybe some day I'll be fortunate enough to meet him.
I would tell him how the "Hold Your Fire" album inspired me to ride my bicycle
14 miles to work everyday so I could save up for my Export kit one summer.
It doesn't compare to the Swiss Alps but I did observe a lot more than If I was in a car.
Thank you for this thread! BD

Reactions: NL5
You shoud have seen last years NAMM show in Anaheim. They unveiled the Paragon line and then had his actual kit, complete with riser, on display in the Sabian booth. All the hardware was gold plated, even the bass drum and high hat pedals. All DW drums, each black with a pearl inlay on each drum of a different symbol from every album.

It was intimidating standing in it's presence.

if you've seen Rush live in the last 10 years or heard any of their live tapes (bootlegs or otherwise), geddy pronounces neil's name "properly" on stage. i guess neil finally got tired of being called "pert". ;-P

FWIW, that drum kit they gave away was his "moving pictures/signals" era red Tama kit. it was given away during a Modern Drummer drum solo contest, and while essays were part of the competition, there was most definitely a drum solo involved. that kit has made it to ebay at least once--i know for certain in 1999--it sold for about $23K, IIRC. certainly looked a lot less cool sitting in a stack than it did on Rush's stage with neil behind it.

cheers,
wade

mrface2112 said:
certainly looked a lot less cool sitting in a stack than it did on Rush's stage with neil behind it.

cheers,
wade

Ha-Ha-Ha!!! Unlike mine, which look cooler in a stack than when I'm sitting behind it!!
:)

Back