What is a subkick and how do I wire one?

clevodrummer

Tascammer
I recently saw a post which I cant find, on how make a subkick with a drum and a speaker with reverse polarity.

Anyone know how to do this, and what exactly is the purpose of a subkick. Ive got lots of shells,etc. and speakers and thought it would be a cool project.

thanks

You don't need the shell.
You just connect a speaker to an XLR microhphone cable and plug it straight into a mixer. A speaker is essentially just a large dynamic microphone in reverse.

Since you'd be using a 6.5" to 10" speaker - it picks up lots of low end.

Tim

In my opinion it's a gimic for two reasons.

1... Most car stereo's or household systems wont be able to reproduce the ultra low frequencies.

2... Most engineers like to leave the lowest end of the eq spectrum for bass guitar, and let the kick sit above it. Gives more room for the mix to breath. If anything, mic the bass guitar with a huge speaker.

Different styles of music call for different styles of recording, but it seems that this is usually the general consensus for anything rock related.

The subkick doesn't give you just stuff under 50hz. Most of the energy is in the 75hz to 100hz range. it gives you a more 'solid' kick hit. Most of this depends on the tuning of the kick, but it isn't a gimick and it is (and has been) used for rock.

Back