what do you think of this set? ludwig

P

Peck

Hi,

I'm buying a drum set for the first time, and I am wondering what you guys think of Ludwig in general, and this set in particular.

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/1102451404.html

How much would you pay for it, if you were to buy it at all?

How about Gretsch Drums vs. Ludwig? What all should I be looking for in a drum set?

Oh I'll be using this purchase to record and play live with, but I really want it to sound good on recordings. I know that is kind of general, but I just wanted to mention that. thanks in advance.

I'm going to be playing rock with this set. I watched a video online of a guy playing this set, and it sounds pretty big. Almost like jazzy I guess... I'm not too sure that is the direction I want to go. But then again I have no idea. This is my first time to buy drums at all.

Last edited:
Not sure of the Ludwig set's level of quality, but a grand for a used (but not vintage) set sounds like a lot of money. A Grestch Catalina Maple set, which usually comes with a second floor tom, sells for $750. I've got such a set, I am impressed with the quality and value- but I am a guitarist, not a drummer.

The best "bang for your buck" drums made are Mapex IMO. In fact, all the "big name" drum producers had to introduce new lines to compete with Mapex.

You can get a Mapex Pro-M all maple 5pc kit for around $700.00 new. Mapex changed the name last year to Meridian Maple which is around $900-1000 new.

I would look on Ebay for a Mapex Pro-M though-I have seen them for as low as $600 new.

This is a kit that sounds great and is quality for the price of a junk starter kit made out of poplar you can get a kit with all maple shells. The hardware on these kits is quality too.

Good luck!

Back