What do you guys think of Pork Pie snares (piccolos, deep snares, etc.)

Ive got this little porkpie 12in snare that i use for metal type recordings here and there.
Its such a cannon man.
Its just sounds awesome.
Id recommend checking them out.

Excellent ring!

Pork Pie's sound incredible - especially their line of smaller-sized snares. All well-made.

Many Pork Pie models have a specific sound to them - and many drummers use them as a side snare in addition to their primary snare.

If you're looking for a 'thud' like on an old Eagles record, then maybe Pork Pie is not for you. But if you like them to pop and ring out ala No Doubt or 311, then Pork Pie is one of the best for that sound.

INHO, of course- Cheers, Rez

Pork Pie uses Keller shells, who makes shells for almost everyone except DW, Tama and a few others. What you're hearing in the ringy 'non-vintage' sound is actually the shell size and thickness. Any 12" snare or piccolo snare will have that ringy tone to it. Companies like OCP are making 20-30 ply snare shells that are loud as hell with that ringy tone too. That tone isn't limited to Pork Pie.

The smaller size snares didn't even exist until about 11 years ago, so no older record is gonna sound like that. I was in a Drum & Budgle Corp with Chad from 311, so I know exacty why he cranks his snare to get that tight tone.

Back