What cracks easier--thin cymbals or thick cymbals?

Whoopysnorp

Most people here are saying thin cymbals crack easier. I would be inclined to agree, except I have a friend who's been drumming for 15 years or so, and has broken a hell of a lot of cymbals. He claims that thin cymbals will last longer because they vibrate more freely, and don't absorb so much of the impact of the stick like a thick cymbal would. What's the real deal?

The real deal is the hardness of the metal. A soft, thin cymbal will last longer than a thick, hard one. The problem is soft cymbals usually don't sound as good.

here's one... Do you think that two Zildjian Z Custom crashes should crack within a year of ownership? 'Cause I sure as hell don't, and neither does my drummer.

Do you think that two Zildjian Z Custom crashes should crack within a year of ownership?
Depends. Z's are thicker and stiffer, so that kinda gives them a propensity for cracking. It also depends how the cymbals are hit. My former band was on tour with Simon Says (you may or may not have heard of them) a few years ago and their drummer hits harder than anyone I've ever seen. He broke three Paiste Dimension cymbals a week, on average. Of course, he had an endorsement.

Hmm... three Paistes in a week... That is nuts. Absolutely insane. Yeah... My old band, my guitarist and drummer switched off... and my guitarist drummed fairly hard... I didn't think he was TOO hard, but still...

Yeah, I dug Simon Says back in the day... Now they've split off into SS and KTA.. What was your old band, anyways?

My old band was Hydrovibe. We were on tour with them for like three weeks. They were ok, nothing great, though their drummer was incredible. Usually people who hit as hard as he does are kinda meathead drummers, but he had finesse - I'd bet money he's had thorough training. They were whiney rich boys though and complained about nearly everything. Towards the end of the tour nobody could take any more of their crap, including their tour manager.

Hydrovibe... Where from? Hehehe... I heard that Simon Says were pretty snobbish, but I do agree with you on their drummer... He's good, for sure.

Back