What about effects on drum's tracks ?

Vincent

Hello, I'm writing a memorial for my mastership, and it is about recording drums (what a lucky student I am !). I'd like to know more about effect I can use during mixing. What kind of reverb, of compression... I already get few informations about EQ, but I'm interested too.
Moreover, I've heard about someone who puts flanger on Hi-hat... Is it possible ? I hope one of you could help me!

Vincent

For me, compression is the most important 'effect' for drums. Especially on the kick and snare. I would guess just about everyone compresses those to some extent, and a marjority of drum tracks you hear on rock and pop music are compressed somewhat. I drop the dry signal down really low and normally let the compressed signal comprise most of the actual track that is heard.

I added a flanger to a hi-hat track once, with a stereo panning effect to get a result that a friend of mine was looking for on a track. He wanted the recorded drums to start out sounding like a drum machine then blend into a more natural sound. I used the flanger on a semi-open hi-hat and played it back trough a small set of speakers, then miked the speakers to record what ended up as the hi-hat for the "drum machine" part of the track. Then I did a crossfade of that into the un-effected (except for compression)drum track. Worked well, and he liked it. Other than that I wouldn't normally add a flanger to the hi-hat for my stuff.

Hello, Jon X. Thank you for this quick answer... How do you generally parameter your compressor ? Do you simply use it as a gate, or more like a compressor ?

Do you use some reverb unit ? If it is the case, how do you parameter it ? I'm very found of other's experiment...

See you soon,
Vince

I've done a bunch of reading about how professionals mike things. I have heard about a certain engineer (forget who he is, but I think he is big) who compresses the overheads so that the initial attack on the cymbals is heard primarily through the cymbal mics, and then gradually "breathes" and adds the overhead tone. Sounded like a pretty widespread process to me.

There is some sort of dynamics processor on mty 01v similar you're talkin about DF. They call it a compander. (Compressor, limiter and expander, all in one!!) Anyway, it confuses me, but gives the cymbals a real nice "swell", which I like a lot.

It's funny about compression on overheads, I've heard plenty of people say they always do it, and lots of other people say "NEVER compress yr overheads". Further proof we should just do what sounds good. If yr looking for examples of effects on drums, I heartily recommend you check out some dub reggae, the drums are usually swamped with reverb, phasing and echo. I was lucky enough to get to use a friend's Mutron Bi-phase for awhile, and I assure you, drums through that thing is just addictive, especially in stereo. Delay on drums is wonderful as well, if the drummer keeps good time that is, otherwise you get a big ol' mess...

Hey, I just downloaded a song the other day off of napster that has hi-hat with a phlanger on it. Sounds pretty damn cool if you ask me. The song was called "Distant Sun" by The Deadlights... they're kind of an industrial/metal band, so it fits the sound really well.

"Airbag" by radiohead has some flange and other fx on drums. Listen to the interaction with the bass guitar on that song!-lzb

Anybody have any ideas on what rack gear I should buy as a drummer? I need gear that will work both onstage and in the studio....

Hi guys,
thank you for your replies. I'm very busy, so I can't give you news for the moment. But, I'll do it as soon as possible...

see you soon,
Vince from Marseille

Back