v-drums

polarity

Curious if anyone here is using v-drums. Namely the Roland TD-10 set. I have them and HATE the cymbals that came with the set and would like to upgrade to some better v-cymbals. I thought about doing real and micing them but part of the reason of getting an electronic set was not to drive my wife crazy.

I've done some site searches here and will do a few more, but so far I haven't seen my answer.

thanks

I use a TD3. Run it with midi and use superior for the drum sounds.

Module sounds are pretty much garbage across the board. Even some of the really expensive stuff is lacking in my opinion.

I agree that it's not the most real sounding kit, overall I'm a big fan of the actual drum shells and mesh heads on the td-10 are fantastic. I am no drummer so it's a great way to learn without driving everyone crazy.

Problem with the actual cymbal triggers on any kit is that (at least it seems this way to me) you either get quiet or you get loud.

The surge stuff is excellent, but even with the plastic coating it still sounds like your hitting hard plastic.

Higher quality roland and yamaha cymbal pads are really nice, but expensive.

There are no cymbals that sound or respond like mesh that I know of (acoustic noise).

If your talking about what you hear when you play the drumset though my opinion stands. Even pluging the module into a cheap laptop running ez drummer using a cheap $40 midi to usb converter sounds better than most module's stock sounds.

I have the TD15K and they sound great. I am not sure how much you can upgrade things. Depends on the kit. For example, for $600, I can go and buy the proper hi-hat and stand rather than the simulated one.

Either way, they still sound great. Really impressive unit.

The goal for the cymbals is to replace the really really crappy solid rubber ones that I have now. They came stock with the kit, they don't look like cymbals, they look like giant rubber Frisbees. So the goal is to replace them with something more realistic but still made of rubber/plastic is fine. Also the ones that came with the kit don't do mute/grab even though they are dual trigger. So I'm looking for a decent replacement. The sounds won't matter, because as you said this will be running into something like ezdrummer, etc.

I've owned and used a TD10 kit for about 10 years (I bought them when they 1st came out - however long ago that was).

The cymbal sounds in the TD10 (candidly in any sound module) are and always will be the weakest sounds - simply because it is too difficult to sample the various harmonics and prolonged decay that cymbals produce.

The best results I've had (and almost anyone I know who uses e-drums) - is to use real cymbals with the e-drums. However, this then requires a decent sounding recording space (and/or a space that can accomodate the volume of live cymbals) and it also requires the right kind of mics (preferably SD condenser mics) and extra analog channels to feed to your recording medium.

Certainly using the e-druims to trigger samples from a sound librady mau give beter results - but if you are concerned about the ability to choke the cymbals ........ make sure the library you choose can respond to that data.

I agree the stock cymbal pads that came with the TD10 do not "feel" like real cymbals - you can choke them if you use a stereo cord - but they do not respond to chokes well (although you can adjust the dynamic response within the module.

I looked into replcing the cymbals with the upgraded Roland cymbals ....... but they ain't cheap. I have tried Hart cymbals with the TD10 and they worked (and were much less costly than Roland cymbals.

Hope this helps a little.

The goal for the cymbals is to replace the really really crappy solid rubber ones that I have now. They came stock with the kit, they don't look like cymbals, they look like giant rubber Frisbees. So the goal is to replace them with something more realistic but still made of rubber/plastic is fine. Also the ones that came with the kit don't do mute/grab even though they are dual trigger. So I'm looking for a decent replacement. The sounds won't matter, because as you said this will be running into something like ezdrummer, etc.

The only reason I know this isn't correct is because I own a cheaper TD-3 kit and on that cheapo kit the roland cymbals are mutable (and all of mine are CY8 pads except the hats). Is there some setting on the module that you need to turn on or something?

Anyhow, I'm not sure if I have a suggestion as you won't probably like anything else on the market since your kit sports some of the most top of the line triggers on it already.

Good luck.

I've played the gen16 cymbals at guitar center. They felt alright. They sounded like crap though in my opinion. I don't know how they could have missed the mark so badly with them.

I was looking at those the other day but decided they wouldn't work because of they are almost "hybrid" cymbals. They make noise like a regular one just a little quieter. I am trying to stick with the really quiet version. I'll look around inside the module and see if I can find anything about turning on the mutes on the current ones. I was pretty sure it's not there but I've been wrong plenty of times before.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep looking. This isn't anything pressing it's really just a minor irritation at the most.

Thanks to this thread, I can now mute my cymbals. There is a small rubber rim underneath, and provided your hand makes contact with it, it silences the sound.

Now I just have to develop a technique where I would consistently use that method.

Back