used zildjian A cymbal price

jimistone

long standing member
The the local music store here has a used Zildjian A 17" medium/thin crash cymbal. It sounds pretty good...
better that my Wuhan crash but not quite as good as my old Zildjian 16" crash.
They want 90 bucks...out the door price (no tax)
I'm not well versed on used drum pricing so, is that a good deal?

If it aint cracked or keyholed, that's a pretty good price.
it's not keyholed or cracked. I told him I want it and he put it back for me. I could tell him to go on and put it back out if I decided I didn't want it...It's not that big a deal to him. He works with me like that on stuff. I have a Wuhan 20" ride and a Wuhan 16" crash that I may trade also. The Wuhan ride sounds pretty good but not as good as the old Zildjian 20" ride that I have on my set. My Wuhan 16" crash doesn't sound bad but it's loud. If hit too hard it blared out. The 17" Zildjian A, that I have put back at the store, sounds better.

Maybe he will take those 2 cymbals and 30 bucks. I dunno.

I may keep them and just buy it outright. I mainly just wanted to make sure it was a good price.
Thanks Greg
I started to pm you on this but I have pestered to so much lately I decided to just post it here.
That's for all the help greg!

Used cymbals are scary IMO. Cracks can start out undetectably small. If it's in good shape, the price is very good, but there's a risk there.

I went to the music store today and brought my old 16" Zildjian crash and the Wuhan 16" crash I was planing on replacing. I mounted those 2 and the Zildjian A 17" crash I was planning on buying. I hit all 3 cymbals repeatedly....comparing them. Then the store owner hit them repeatedly while I listened from a distance.

The old Zildjian crash of mine sounded the best ...by far. It was a toss up between the Zildjian A and the Wuhan. They sounded different but one didn't really sound better than the other to my ears. The Wuhan has more volume and a very nice sustained shimmer. The Zildjian A sounds good too...a little darker sounding crash with a shorter sustain.
The store owner told me he thought that the Wuhan sounded better than the Zildjian A. He also said that he thought the old Zildjian was exceptionally good. He is a drummer himself. I tried out over a dozen brand new cymbals also.
Bottomline:
I passed on the Zildjian A series 17" crash. I realized that the Wuhan is better than I thought and by using the exceptional sounding old zildjian crash as a benchmark, I was judging the Wuhan too harshly.

So I guess instead of having a pretty good Zildjian crash and a so so Wuhan crash I have a killer Zildjian crash and a pretty good Wuhan

Take your thumbnail and run it along the entire edge of the cymbal. It's SO easy to miss a small crack.

If it catches on anything look closer, it's most likely a crack.

Wuhan crashes are alright IMO. The ones I tracked one time just had zero freaking attack so it was washy.

Here is the only time I recorded a guy with Wuhan crashes. I see the chinas all the time, but the crashes not so much.

Back