Updating my drumset

Cobra67

OK here's my story.... <yawn>

When I started playing drums about 9 years ago (when I was like 14 years old) of course I had little money. I eventually saved up about $ 300 and bought a "Blackhawk" 5-piece out of a Sears catalog. I few weeks later I added a second bass drum. So my basic setup is 2 22" Bass drums, 12" and 13" toms, 16" floor tom, and a 14" steel crappy snare drum.

Now I eventually started working and bought some serious stands and cymbals. I've got Tama stands and Zildjian cymbals. I bought Remo heads for all my drums so they actually sound decent (we play rock/metal). Bascially I'm going to by top o' the line stuff for my drumset so in a few years down the road I can just by a new set (hopefully JUST the drums and not the hardware,which I won't need). I just got a DW Delta II Hi-hat stand which is sweet and I'm looking to buy two new pedals. Probably DW 5000Delta II. But what is the difference between Turbo and Accelerator??? Also does anyone know if it is possibly to buy a new drumset without the pedals and cymbal stands (preferably Tama)?? I'd hate to spend all this money on stands and pedals and eventually get ones with a new set that I wouldn't even use. Any help on these matters would be appreciated. Thanks!

Depending on what kind of 'package' deal you get when you buy your next drumkit, It may or may not come with hardware. Im sure you can just purchase the shells of your choice.
As far as your pedals, sorry I dont know the difference between Turbo and Accelerator. Is there a price difference? Are they stand alone or cheater pedals? Check out the specs on em and you may see the difference then.

Lates

Kap

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cobra67:
Also does anyone know if it is possibly to buy a new drumset without the pedals and cymbal stands (preferably Tama)?? I'd hate to spend all this money on stands and pedals and eventually get ones with a new set that I wouldn't even use. Any help on these matters would be appreciated. Thanks!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Cobra67!

First, You can buy Individual drums and forego the "Package set". I've found that the shells on most bottom of the line or lower mid lines are fine-it's the Bottom grade stands that stink!

Let me ask you a question or two:

How handy are you?
Are you Mechanically inclined, or better yet-do you mind spending a few hours putting stuff together?
Because if you don't mind-you can buy the shells, have them drilled, then you finish them (or have them finished), and all you have to do is screw the hardware onto the kit.
You can get a top of the line quality drumkit at bottom of the line prices!

I built my own set last year, and let me tell you, after going through 13 drumkits-I finally got exactly what i wanted.

I've had essentially ever brand on the market, from a 1950's Slingerland kit (which I started out on) to a Sonor kit.

But none of them were giving me what i was looking for. Now, If I would have had those kits with the specific sizes that i have now-they might have.
But the set that I have sounds awesome, and looks great.

You can get all the parts online from Drum Supply house, which is where I got my stuff.

I personally am not a big fan of DW stuff.
I use Axis A pedals with Longboard extensions.

The Drum Supply house webpage is:
http://www.drummaker.com/

Tim

About the drumset, you can normally just buy a shell kit which is just the drums themselves and no hardware. In fact, I don't know of any companies that don't offer each of their kits as just shells. It's significantly cheaper, also. About your bass pedals, as far as I know, the difference between the Accelerator and the Turbo is that the Accelerator has the little thingie that accelerates the beater once it gets nearer the bass drum (the effectiveness is of course based on the distance of the beater from the drum). The Turbo is more geared for smoothness and speed but not necessarily hitting. If you play metal, I'd go for the Accelerator. But I also would suggest you check out Tama's Iron Cobra line. They are EXTREMELY good, and significantly less expensive than any DW counterpart. I just bought their double pedal the other day and it's amazing. DW is about as expensive as you'll get except for probably the new (I think) Premier "floating" pedals. But about the Accelerator and Turbo pedals, my explanation is just what I've gathered. The information that I had could be completely wrong, but it would make sense anyway. About your set, if you want something really good then check out some Yamaha birch and Mapex maple customs. Those are two of my personal favorites and they really are good for almost any style to me. If you want something good but possibly not as expensive, look at some Slingerlands. Hope this helps.

Hey..I play a DW DeltaII 5002 (double kick setup, accelerator line) The diference is the gear. The cam is shaped differently and affects the speed of the beater and it's respnse. KOW was right on the money. The accelerator gives you more power as it nears the attack point. I love the DW stuff, but I really wish I would have looked at the Axis. Just try em all and buy what you like...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drumdummie:
I love the DW stuff, but I really wish I would have looked at the Axis. Just try em all and buy what you like...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Axis is the way to go. I started using Axis when they very first came out. I worked one pair for 8 years with no problems. I sold them when I sold my Yamaha kit, and I ordered a new set of Pedals.
I love them.
There are tons of guys using them in the Pros-and they do NOT have an endorsement program.
I've talked to the guys at axis on a few occaisions-and, man-it's just a few guys ho work there! Hahaha
The guy who designed the thing, still actually gets out there and makes them.
He just loves doing stuff like that and seeing what kind of improvements they can make.

I never liked DW's; I had them early on, and Ive tried them time and time again-but they just never felt comfortable to me.
Almost all of my friends used them except for one, and he sold his when he went to Axis pedals.

Tim

Tim, I checked out that site you reffered to.
Some very cool stuff.
From the picture the shells look pretty finished...are they finished enough to just put a coat of urethane on them or do they have to be covered?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RichB:
Tim, I checked out that site you reffered to.
Some very cool stuff.
From the picture the shells look pretty finished...are they finished enough to just put a coat of urethane on them or do they have to be covered?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep!

I went with 4 coats of Minwax
"Rub On" Polyurathane, and man-Everyone ho has seen my kit up close has freaked out. All my friends that aredrummers, now want me to build them drumsets! Hahaha

My next project is going to be a 30-ply 8" x 14" Maple snare drum! (1" thick shell)

To finish the kit:
1. put on a coat of the poly and let it dry (took about 4 hours in in Florida-and that was in high humidity weather).

2. "sand" the set with a green "Scotch-brite" pad (works like steel wool-bit doesn't come apart).
3. take a tack cloth, and "tack" the drums.
(just pur some poly on a rag, and let it sit. Do this when you put your first coat on-it will be "tacky" and will pick up the stuff you're "sanding" off with the scotch-brite pad.

4. Make sure to use LINT FREE rags to apply the poly.

5. "sand" with the grain of the wood.

after the first coeat, put on 2 more coats, then "sand".
6. then put on your final coat and let it set for 3 days.

This will give you a "satin oil" finish. Not really shiny-but well protected.
I didn't want a high gloss finish.
For more gloss, just keep putting more coats on the kit.

I swear man-This kit was the best investment I've made drumwise.

It's not hard to do at all, it just takes a little time.

If you really wanted to not have to finish it yourself-you could call up some local cabinet shops, and see what they will charge you to finish them-I mean, it won't take them but a day or two to spray them....
But if you DO go that route-make sure you see some of their work (and not just pictures).

Tim

Thanks for the info Tim, I'm really excited to try this. I thought I'd start with a snare...I've been in the market for a piccalo but not real interested in laying down $800.00 bucks for one. After the snare I'll just keep adding on.
I currently own an early '70's Ludwig Octoplus...that I eventually put bottoms on all but the 6" and 8" toms so I'm familiar with marking and drilling for castings.

Thanks again dude!!

Rich

Back