turning my acoustic kit into an electric kit :)

horizon_scott

right before i do this i wanted opinions, my playing is far too loud and i have an electric kit, but thats not really right for me to play, i prefere the large drum setup, yada yada.

so i was thinking, if i was to buy mesh drum skins for my kit and then placed a pretty standerd karaoke mic in each drum just touching the skins and then wired out to the TD-3 drum brain i have, would it sound okay or would it not work? i know of people that have done it using triggers instead of mics, but i dont have triggers lying around my house (i do however have 7 unused jack out karaoke mics:)).

would the response from the mics be okay to produce proper hits or would it just be another epic fail of an idea that i put into practice and waste time and money one?

I would think that the signal from the mic would be fairly hot..no?
What's the output signal from a trigger compared to a mic?
I don't know, just writing thoughts.

I would think having the mics actually touch the skin would take out the mics fairly quick. Maybe if they were back an inch off the skin and placed on the inside of the drum, the air pressure from the whack would move the diaphragm enough to send the signal out to the module. Kinda like how a sub kick works only without the flipping of the + and - wires.

Thoughts to ponder...

Let us know if you do it and how it works...

simple

youre case definitely calls for triggers. because the triggers will react to dynamics wayyyyyy better for one. and two. triggers are meant for contact and mics arent. and if you are using sound modulation the mics wont process it at all. tryed it before. sucks. just buy triggers my friend

youre case definitely calls for triggers. because the triggers will react to dynamics wayyyyyy better for one. and two. triggers are meant for contact and mics arent. and if you are using sound modulation the mics wont process it at all. tryed it before. sucks. just buy triggers my friend

i see, so you're suggesting triggers eh? um there are some reasonably cheap ones:
http://www.andyou.co.uk/productdetail.asp?ProductID=DD-RSkick

will they be AWFUL? or can i get away with it?

+1 for triggers, I'm clueless as to what you'd do about cymbals though.

i have three roland vdrum cymbals, i have no idea what to do about the hi hat lol, i have the original hi hat which is a pedal and another pad but i may just use my hi hat and cymbals when i want to play loud and get levels correct

Back