Tuning bass drum for fast double bass.. ?

Kapo_Polenton

Hey guys,

Let me start this by saying that I have no problem getting a kick ass bass drum sound. My bass drum is like a canon. The problem however, is when I tune my batter head tight for quicker foot work, I'm ending up with too much boom and slap back. The solution to me is to stuff the bass drum with a larger blanket and push it up against the batter head but I'm still getting some back pressure and a tad of boom depending on the room. Are you guys tuning your reso heads really loose? Mine is ported but still getting some kick back. (wood beaters on an iron cobra)

I probably shouldn't be complaining seeing as a lot of people have horrible sounding kick drums but i've got to think that a lot of these metal guys are stuffing the hell out of their bass drums because when you hear them without mic's they sound like taps..

Thanks.

I'm glad I am not alone

I have played drums for twenty years but have just got into personal recording just this past year. My double bass speed is pretty good, or I should say it was until I started recording. I struggle constantly for the sweet in between ratio of speed and live/recorded sound. Actually I would say I've gotten to be a little obsessive about it. Lately I've settled with just tuning so I have speed and good acoustic sound. I have gotten better about working it out in the software. If I had more available funds I would seek out a quest to try every combination of pedals, beaters, heads, and mics. But until then I will stick with what I have. Keep the speed, keep the acoustic sound. IMO

I have my kick drum tuned about a quarter turn past finger-tightened, and I took off the reso head. Less boxy, and not too much boom. Some blankets as well. Doesn't sound bad unmic'd either.

I use no blankets and tune the drum really low. Same with the reso head. You have to tune the drum so that it resonates for the amount of time you want it to. Having the heads loose(ish) will give you the slap as the beater tensions the head and the short, deep rumble without the prolonged boom of a tightened head. It also keeps you from fighting the bounce of the pedals.

Murdersgalore is absolutely right. Maybe I'm just biased, but I've never listened to a metal song and thought "Man I'd like my drums to sound like that!". The kick is just clicks, it all sounds like a typewriter, no body, and the cymbals are thin and weak. If you're getting a nice drum sound keep it. When you want it to sound like a metal kick, sample it.

No, they don't all use triggers. People like Jason Bittner, Derek Roddy, Chris Adler, etc... Don't use triggers live or in the studio.

Back