tube mics???

melonman

i want the drums to sound loud and tight, but not sound huge like led zepplin. im thinking along the lines of the old punk bands like the germs, the minutemen, Black Flag etc.... the drums on those records sound incredibly crisp and have a lot of punch to them. could it be that during the recording they used tube mics? im not sure.

The reason Bonham's drums sounded so huge is he would usually record in the hallway of a big stone castle and compress the shit out of the sound. If I can find 'em, I'll post some of the Zep tracks which are just the drums by themselves. You'll hear it.

So long as you stay away from compressors and castles you should be okay. I would also advise staying away from Aleister Crowley, but that's YOU'RE choice!

Tube mics for overheads sound great. I don't know if that's a punk standard (Remember that FET mics have been around since the 60's), but tubes generaly add some natural compression which is good. They're also very warm and the low end makes cymbals sound great! They need to have a 10-15dB pad for some loud players. The one's I've built all have pads now.

The trade off is they're generally more expensive. They're also more versatile.

PhilGood said:
The reason Bonham's drums sounded so huge is he would usually record in the hallway of a big stone castle and compress the shit out of the sound. If I can find 'em, I'll post some of the Zep tracks which are just the drums by themselves. You'll hear it.

So long as you stay away from compressors and castles you should be okay. I would also advise staying away from Aleister Crowley, but that's YOU'RE choice!

Tube mics for overheads sound great. I don't know if that's a punk standard (Remember that FET mics have been around since the 60's), but tubes generaly add some natural compression which is good. They're also very warm and the low end makes cymbals sound great! They need to have a 10-15dB pad for some loud players. The one's I've built all have pads now.

The trade off is they're generally more expensive. They're also more versatile.

Bonham has an amazing sound :D...the remasters cd's sound good..but nothing can replace the old LP's...I'm happy my old man liked Zeppelin when I wasn't there yet..hehe...and about Aleister Crowley...haah...i'd also stay away from him :).

Anyway. I just ordered Presonus Bluetube DP tube pre-amp.
I will probally use it for my Bass drum & Snare..and let you know if it makes a difference.

melonman said:
i want the drums to sound loud and tight, but not sound huge like led zepplin. im thinking along the lines of the old punk bands like the germs, the minutemen, Black Flag etc.... the drums on those records sound incredibly crisp and have a lot of punch to them. could it be that during the recording they used tube mics? im not sure.

I think what you're hearing are drummers with great endurance smacking the living shit out of the drums. Power, consistency, and control. A great performace will come through shitty mics. A shitty performance....

As Ghost might say, Cheers! :)

Back