Trying to record drums in my basement

muke

Hello,

I am trying to record drums in my basement. I have no acoustic treatment foam, the room is about 14 x 10 ft, with carpet floor and drywall walls. I have two mics, and earthworks sr20 and some cheap sennheiser mic that came in a pack with stand and cable. I am using reaper software and my monitor is a focusrite scarlett 2i2. I am a complete newbie to recording. If anyone is interested, i have a dw performance kit and sabian cymbals. I am currently getting a godawful dry, tinny, sound, and cant seem to get a good bass sound at all. it just sounds horrible over all. My drums are not tuned properly either.

Where can i start?

Thanks, god bless. :wtf::confused:

After the above, then try you mic placement for the overheads, see where you can get the best sound for the kit. After that, work the kick, then the snare.

I wouldn't worry too much abut dry. I have a really dry room and usually get some room verb in a send but for all of the instruments (virtual and real) to give it the same room. Bring up the verb only for room sound, not for reverb sound.

Your tracking room doesn't have to be great, just the sound you are getting in your mics. So, find the spot that yields the best results. For kick and snare, it will be close micing and room will have little to no affect. Overheads will be your work.

Try putting the earthworks over your shoulder and the sennheiser in the kick. That should give you something workable.

If not, try putting the earthworks in front of the kit, about tom height.

It will always sound a little small, because you don't have two of the same mic to make it stereo. (two earthworks as left and right overheads, would be good)

Try putting the earthworks over your shoulder and the sennheiser in the kick. That should give you something workable.

If not, try putting the earthworks in front of the kit, about tom height.

It will always sound a little small, because you don't have two of the same mic to make it stereo. (two earthworks as left and right overheads, would be good)

That and after hearing it you might consider some heavy blankets or such hung up (mic height and higher and down?) tight on either side of you, the mic and kit.

I do 'similar; Good size gobos on either side (but plus a few panels above to attenuate the ceiling reflection) and a pair of Eartworks -down in' and on either side in my case.
Tucked in (and 'dry) like that or similar can get the kit 75% there.

(I tend to think from the drummer's view (vs from the front) tends to catch the skins' better, but ... :>)

Last edited:
I was curious and checked and didn't realize -the SR20 actually rolls off pretty high. -3dB down at a 100, vs 50Hz for their other directional SR25 for example

It could be a modest bell EQ lift down in that area might be fitting if the kit comes in missing some of the 'weight -toms, kick, overall.
Just a thought. My ref' and it threw me is the QTC-1's (omni), I have to toss (trim) the low octaves!

Back