Tips on how to improve my drum recordings?

What sort of equipment are you using? Does your recorder have built in EQ and compression? That's where most of what you need lies, sound wise. You need a good dynamics processor, and EQ, and you need to learn how to use them.
Secondly, you should record to a click track. Your guitars and sorely out of time with your drums, at certain places in your songs. I think the rhythm guitar is what is causing it most times. Other times, it seems your bass drum is the culprit, mostly when you are doing the fast foot-work. Sometimes, the best thing to do is simplify the part until it's easy for you to play. It's much better to play a simple part well, than to record a part that you struggle with, and ends up sounding poor.
On the bright side, your recording sounds very clean, and some of the guitar textures are very very nice! I think with proper dynamics processing, and some EQ, and maybe a little verb, you'd have some slammin' sounds!

~Shawn

Hey, thanks for the response.

Equip:
Presounus Firepod
MSH-2's in recorderman for OH's
CAD glx-3000 or something on kick
es-57 on snare and on guitar amp
Cubase LE, so it does have dynamic processing and eq, and I did use a little of both, but I honestly dont really know how to use them, I need to read up more on that...

lol, the sad part is, I did record to a click >_> I think what happens is Ill write a song, and then just be so eager to record it that I wont have it practiced enough before I do, and then Itll come out crappy. So, I think its mainly an issue of practice...

thanks!

The more you play to a click, the easier it gets. One trick I use is to practice with a metronome at (for instance) 140bpm until I'm happy at that speed, then set the metronome to 70bpm and keep drumming AT THE SAME SPEED, really helps your inner timing. You can then keep halving if you want, not that I see too much point having 1 click per 2 bars or anything like that ;)

I'm afraid I can't really give any tips on your drum sound, as I'm far from happy with mine at the moment!

Back