Time for a new snare

jontflesh

Ok I have a Pearl Black Beauty piccalo snare, 13"X4" deep. This was a great snare for punk rock and classical stuff go figure since it is so high pitched and has a really nice snap. I am now in the market for another snare. I really want a nice deep powerful sounding snare. I have not started looking seriously but one I did play on the other day was the Yamaha Anton Figg signature with the wood rim. Anyone playing this drum? Back in school we had a nice wood rim snare that sounded nice but I never really got to wail on it hard. How well do the wood rims hold up if they are smacked a few times? I play a Tama Imperialstar kit but only use 5 out of the 11 pieces (too much to move for gig's every week). So what would you guys reccomend for a big sounding snare drum. I really would like it to be 14" diam. and around 10" deep if not a little bit more, although I do not want a Marching snare, hehe. I do not want a metal shell either, really wanting a nice wood shell drum.
Anyway this has become more or less a novel, thanks in advance for the suggestions/opinions.

jontflesh

Drums with maple hoops hold up suprisingly well. I've played an Ayotte snare with wood hoops and was amazed by the sound. It's like the shell and hoops work as one. The cross stick sound is amazing. Maple is a harder wood than any sticks your probably using so the chances of the rim denting or anything are small. Only time would tell however. Not too many manufactures these days (except Ludwig) are making snares 10" deep. If they are, it would be a special order. You may want to look into the myriad of custom drum builders out there. That way, you could get your 10" deep drum and also be involved in hoop choices, lugs, finish, strainer, etc, etc. Many are on-line and many have suprisingly affordable prices. The only thing that matters is whether you want to pay for a "name".

Back