some tips for small kit

lukeslim

Hi all about to recored some tracks and the drummer will have snare and hi hats only on most tracks.
He will uses brushes its blues/roots /folk acoustic sound all acoustic instruments.

Any ideas as to best mike up the small kit like mybe just an overhead mike might do the job the room sounds ok.
My first thoughts was a 57 on snare and a sdc over head.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks Luke.

Luke,
I do this often for jazz work, where it's just brushes on a snare/hat/ride. Many times, I'll just put a single LDC about 12-18" above the snare & hat aimed down at the center of the snare. The bleed picks up all the h-hats I need.

If you can do a Blumlien array, that would work. Ask for more info about it or do a search if you don't know what it is.

A single condenser can do the job if you put the time into placement and EQ.

I prefer to have a "floor" mic for the low end (bass, floor tom) and an overhead for the upper end; snare, cymbals, etc. Still takes a little time for positioning and EQ but not as much, and it gives you a little more control at the board while maintaining the natural dynamics.

A "floor" mic and stereo overheads would be not only ideal, but all that's necessary for proper drum sounds, IMO.

Back