snare throw-offs

zed32

Re-Attached Member
well i found this old messed up snare in my uncles garage, and he said i could have it for free so i took it. i put some new skins (genera dry, 300 hazy) and new wires on it and it was sounding pretty good, but the problem is that the snare throw-off is messed up. it has like a plastic strap that goes through a clamp that's secured by 2 small screws, and it looks like one of the screws is stripped or something. the screw won't tighten all the way and it wont back out all the way, it just turns and nothing happens. so i tightened up the one that works, and it sounded fine but after a while of hitting it, it starts to loosen up and then sounds crappy. my question is, would a replacement snare throw-off such as this one from Gibraltar screw right onto my snare? are the mounts somewhat universal? i looked at the throw-off on my cousin's Ludwig snare and the mounting screws that hold it on to the drum are spaced farther apart. if i got the gibraltar one, would i have to drill out some new holes and get new screws to mount it? or would it possibly just fit right in? oh and as for what brand the snare is, i have no clue. it doesn't seem to have any markings on it. it's a metal 14x6 or 5.5", somewhere in that neighborhood. the only marking it has is on the anchoring side of the snare throw-off and it says "JAPAN".

:confused:

YOu'll probably need to remove the strainer from the drum and measure it.

Then go to the site in my signature, if anybody is going to have one that will fit it - it will be Drum Supply House.

You may indeed have to drill out a new hole to mount it on the shell, but that shouldn't be a problem. I would just make sure that the bottom holes lined up (bolt it on with the bottom hole) and then make the shell where you have to drill the new top hole.
That way the mechanism is lined up on the end where the snares go.

:D

If you have access to one - a dremel "roto" tool is great for doing this kind of stuff.

Tim

awesome, i'll check out DSH right now, and yes i have a dremel, best tool i ever bought! i'm an auto mechanic by trade and i use that thing all the time to "fix" things on my own cars haha.

Back