Snare ring making me nuts

EDAN said:
Why???
Because duct tape...gaffer's tape or electrical tape, is for banjo-pickin', budweiser-drinkin', Velveeta-eatin', wife-beatin, Skynard-lovin', NASCAR-watchin', basement-gigin', web-toed rubes.

EDAN said:
Why? Because you once read that somewhere and you figured the guy saying it knew more about how drums should sound? lol. Come on, we aren't talking the 70's Jo Walsh cardboard sound here (unless that's what someone wants). Many things, including duct (actually it was first called DUCK) tape, O-rings, Moon gel etc., will work, they all do the same thing, muffle the sound. Now, I'm with you, I like getting the ring out as best I can by tuning as I like a open sound much of the time, but a little duct tape (or a hundred other things) can certianly help.

One of the biggest things drummer don't understand is the room acoustics are what often times causes ringing, not the drum itself. Ever get your drums to sound great then move them to a different room or even a different spot in the same room and all of a sudden they sound like crap? My drums used to ring like a bell, a mattress set up behind me against the back wall took care of it all, it was if magically the drums tuned themselves. :D

I think we're talking about a different kind of "ringing" than you're hearing, if you catch my meaning.

guttapercha said:
Hi,

My snare sounded great with the stock batter head, but it was time for a change. So....I put a powerstroke3 on (as part of a pinstripe bulk pack) and now there's a crazy ring that I can't seem to get rid of. I've tried all kinds of things with duct tape, but it's not attenuated enough for my liking. I've also tried tuning it up/down, but I'm still getting it.

JD

I think someone already has suggested the 'dampening rings', etc. and that will help some...and you can make your own out of some old head, if you have some lying around...just cut out the outer ring, and lay them on the snare...

This is only a quick fix though...I would suggest changing heads, if tuning doesn't help (and you said it didn't). The old head was fine, new one, rings like crazy....wrong head! :D

Back