snare problems

rightbrainnow

Ive got a sm-57 on the snare, and im having some problems. I dont think it sounds very good at all. It's not the cables, nor is it the input its going into (already tested that)...The closer the mic is to the snare, the less "snare-ish" it sounds...it actually sounds like the snare is off. I move the mic further away and I start to get the snare sound again, but it really doesnt sound that good...sounds very bass heavy with not too much "crack" at all. Problem with the mic maybe?

Ive had similar problems with my snare. I use a 57 on top too. Idealy You should use a second mic on the bottom to capture the crack from the snares. I cant do that because I have limited tracks to work with. Ive found that I just have to really experiment with mic placement. Also I have to loosen the snares way more than normal so the top mic picks them up enough. What really helped my problem was tuning. I ended up tuning my snare listening though the mic on my noise cancelling earbuds so all i could hear was the sound from the mic not the drum itself. That way i knew it would sound good recorded.

I used to have that problem as well although it can be beaten with one mic it is an easier battle if you can sling another mic under the snare

tuning is what it comes down to as negadiv already pointed out. I had the track playing on my cans & played about with tuning untill it sounded right albeit I've got a beyer m201 on the snares so that's not a problem BUT it helped remove unwanted ringing frequencies

trial & error

what sort of head is on the topside of your snare???? out of curiosity

tuning, tuning, tuning. I use a 57 all the time, 2 inches off the head and angled slightly towards the center. With new heads, a tuned snare and snare tension set the way I like it, I never have a problem getting a good sound.

rightbrainnow said:
Ive got a sm-57 on the snare, and im having some problems. I dont think it sounds very good at all. It's not the cables, nor is it the input its going into (already tested that)...The closer the mic is to the snare, the less "snare-ish" it sounds...it actually sounds like the snare is off. I move the mic further away and I start to get the snare sound again, but it really doesnt sound that good...sounds very bass heavy with not too much "crack" at all. Problem with the mic maybe?

Have you listened to it with the overheads? Sometimes that tom-ish sound is just what you need when you add in the overheads.

Back