snare and kick mic

sirslurpee

What does THIS button do?
If I spend about 150 on a new snare and kick mic, what should I get? I was thinking sm57 on the snare and then I don't really know what to use for the kick? Thanks.

I just bought an Shure SM57 for $95.
Last year I bought a Shure PG52 for my kick for $100.
Both were bought new.
So for $150 it's going to be difficult to get them new.
You can try getting them used for your budget.
Cheers!

sm57 works for both too, more commonly used as a snare mic, but its been a kick mic many times too.

the 57 on snare is a good idea and as farview said the Beta 52 and D112 are good kick mics but you should also check the Audix D6

Although very different from D112 and Beta 52, the ATM25 is a very good kick mic for certain things and can be scored cheaply.

Well.. I picked up an Audix i5 for the snare. I didn't get a kick mic cuz they were too much, but what do you guys know about the Audix D6? Also the Audix i5? I don't know if I will get a chance to try it tonight but I'm going to see if I can put a quick clip together later...

in my recording class we recently demoed some different kick mics and from my experiences in class, i've come to the conclusion that the d112 is more of a thumpy and bassy kick sound (good for poppier sounding music), same with the beta52 but a bit more definition in the low mids...atleast that's what i thought. The audix d6 is an awesome mic for heavier music, with a lot more definition in the higher end, picking up a lot of the beaters transients a bit better than the other two mics. Just my own two cents, but try them out for yourself and see what you prefer.

mat

Holy shit dude that helps A LOT! That's really what I was afraid of was getting a mic that had too much low end and not enough sound from the beaters. I don't have enough inputs to mic both sides of the kick either to try to get a better sound from it and the CAD mic I have is okay, but I have to eq the hell out of it and drop around 140hz by like 7db. I love the way my kick sounds in the room but I just can't get it to sound right with the kick mic and still be able to get enough sound out of it from the overheads to have the kind of attack I want. I'm pretty sure I will go with the d6. I hope this i5 works out well cuz that will probably be what really swings me towards the d6 for sure or not.

sirslurpee said:
Holy shit dude that helps A LOT! That's really what I was afraid of was getting a mic that had too much low end and not enough sound from the beaters. I don't have enough inputs to mic both sides of the kick either to try to get a better sound from it and the CAD mic I have is okay, but I have to eq the hell out of it and drop around 140hz by like 7db. I love the way my kick sounds in the room but I just can't get it to sound right with the kick mic and still be able to get enough sound out of it from the overheads to have the kind of attack I want. I'm pretty sure I will go with the d6. I hope this i5 works out well cuz that will probably be what really swings me towards the d6 for sure or not.

Try building a Kick Drum Tunnel.

You may or may not need a new mic for the kick, depending upon what you get from the Tunnel.

Just put a cardchair, or a folding sawhorse (usually about $15 at any major D.I.Y. hardware center) in front of the kick drum, and drape a few heavy blankets over the kick drum and whatever you've put in front of it.

You could even build a frame out of PVC pipe to cover with the blankets.

Heavy quilted packing/moving type blankets work the best for this.

Then, put the microphone under the tunnel in front of the kick drum, and move it around to gt different sounds before you really try EQ'ing that mic.

What this does, is it isolates the kick drum from the rest of the drumkit, so that you can get clean kick track, and it helps direct more of the Low end of the drum to the mic.

Tim

Back