Snare drum upgrade

ex351d

I have a Yamaha Rydeen 5 piece drum kit and Istambul Mehmet Samatya 4 piece cymbal set in my studio. I would like to upgrade the snare drum to a metal shell snare drum. I record mostly rock, blues and pop. Is there any good snare drums on a budget so I would not have to spend as much as a Supraphonic or Black Beauty? I was looking a the Yamaha recording custom series but the price is very close to the Supraphonic and the Black Beauty is even more expensive.

Go on reverb or ebay and find an old Ludwig Acrolyte snare. It's essentially a supraphonic with 8 lugs instead of 10.

This is assuming you were looking used for a supraphonic. They have been making these things since the dawn of time, so there are billions of these things for sale at any one time.

Go on reverb or ebay and find an old Ludwig Acrolyte snare. It's essentially a supraphonic with 8 lugs instead of 10.

This is assuming you were looking used for a supraphonic. They have been making these things since the dawn of time, so there are billions of these things for sale at any one time.

locally there is literally no used snare drums. I have to find a good deal online on something new. Locally I have access to Mapex black panther, yamaha record custom and sonor.

Why not a good deal online of something used?

I used to buy these thing off of ebay for $100 all day long, but that was probably 10 years ago. They seem to be about $150 plus shipping now.

LUDWIG ACROLITE SNARE, 8 LUG POWER COAT FINISH BLUE OLIVE BADGE Yamaha clutch, o | eBay

Ludwig Acrolite snare drum | eBay

because my county is a small island, getting anything used online involves expensive shipping, if they even consider shipping.

the supraphonic is around 650 new. if I were to spend around 300 for something that does the job I'would be happy. I'd spend 400 for something really good, but if it comes to 500 or so, I might as well just get the supraphonic.

Just snag a new acrolite then?

The black panther snare you mentioned would also be a good snare.

The Acrolite is priced very close to the Supraphonic. The black panther is at the limit I am willing to spend before just going for the Ludwig, is there something a bit less expensive that is still good?

An Acrolite is just as much as a Supraphonic?

It's kind of tough to give you advise when your country has such fucked up pricing. There is a $120 price difference between those 2 snares drums where I live.

I guess check out a pork pie little squealer or a tama SLP big black steel snare. I have an SLP and it's a fantastic snare with the right head on it and at least here it's less than half a supraphonic.

I think the pearl sensitone is a nice metal drum for the money, as is the tama slp and pork pie. I have a Yamaha recording custom in aluminum, but it is like $500 new. I know it gets repeated to death, but so much is really heads and tuning. I bet with your eyes closed you can’t tell a supra or black beauty from one of the imitators. At least I can’t.. A lot is just pride of ownership from owning a classic.

Back