Snare drum rattling

ManInMotion711

Im not sure if there was already a post about this. I couldnt find it so im going to post this new thread. My snare drum keeps rattling when it shouldnt. When i hit the drum it makes the normal sound a snare makes and then it sounds like the snares are bouncing. the snares are tight to the reso head im pretty sure i have it centered in like its supposed to be but it keeps making the same sound. any suggestions on how to fix it?

Im not sure if there was already a post about this. I couldnt find it so im going to post this new thread. My snare drum keeps rattling when it shouldnt. When i hit the drum it makes the normal sound a snare makes and then it sounds like the snares are bouncing. the snares are tight to the reso head im pretty sure i have it centered in like its supposed to be but it keeps making the same sound. any suggestions on how to fix it?

Do you mean it rattles excessively? Or it rattles when you hit other drums.

Sympathetic snare buzz is normal. It happens.

If it's rattling excessively by itself, try tuning the resonant head tighter. A resonant head that resonates too much can keep the snares buzzing. Then readjust the snare wire tension.

i ment excessively. im aware that a snare is going to buzz a bit. ill try tightening the reso head again. ill do it in the morning so i dont wake up the neighborhood. thanks greg

Not that this is your issue, but I had it. I once had a cheap Pearl Export Select snare that had indentations on the shell where the snares sat. When I upgraded to a wider (more wires) snare model, I got all kinds of extra rattle. Sanding the indentations so that they were the width of the new snare wires solved it.

Back