snare drum mic'ing

cemyender

hey all!

Just wondering if anyone else finds that mic'in UNDERNEATH the snare works better for them? I find that it picks up the snares better and when i mic on top of the drum it sounds too-much like a tom.

I use a sm57 btw! :p

I discovered this a few weeks ago myself while recording. It gives a lot more crack than the top. Best is to combine em

I'm new at this, but I've been using two mics -- a dynamic (like an Audix I5, Shure SM57, Electrovoice RE-10, or Sennheiser MD-421) on top, and a condenser (like Shure SM-81, TNC ACM-583FET, AKG C451 E, AKG C414B-ULS) on the bottom or the side. Then I can mix the two tracks and come up with a pretty good sound. (I'll try the port hole thing next - thanks!)

One would think a dynamic on top and a condenser underneath would be the most logical thing, but I've actually had some good results from doing it the other way round. When I consider I would normally EQ in a bit more crack into the top mic and then tame the harsh crackle of the bottom mic, it actually makes sense to try and balance this out in the signal chain by using a slightly brighter mic on top and a battered up '57 underneath.

Most common thing is just a 57' on top and bottom though.

Always remember to flip the polarity!

Back