Small jazz kit (mics)

vintagetobes

Hi, i will be recording a small jazz kit soon and was wondering how i should use the available mics. Ok i can use:
c1000
c3000
Behringer b1 pro x2
sm58
a fake 57
d112
chinese tom mic x2
chinese sdc x 3
chinese ldc

Thanks

Gather all of the mics together, and give them a good cleaning.
Line them up on a white/light grey surface.
Suspend a 100w lamp over the mics.
Get your camera and take several pictures.
Post the pictures on eBay.
Ship microphones to buyer after reciept of payment.
Go to a music store.
Buy two quality overheads and one LDC.
Place the LDC in front of the bass.
Place the overheads well...overhead.
Hit record.

right, or you could answer my question. These are not my mics, they are the ones available to me to record a jazz kit... Any real suggestions fuckwit?

I play a small jazz kit so I am familiar.....I guess it really just depends on the music...if you are recording actual jazz that you want to go pretty bear bones. I would suggest 3 things, try them all see what fits...

1. 1 LDC room mic 10 feet from bass drum about cymbal high
2. 2 OHs, one kick drum mic
3. just the OHs

If its jazz you are looking for, Id prefer to go raw and open, lots of air between the drums and the mics. If brushes are being played, you might want to add a snare mic like a 57.

With that you have there, I'd put the C-3000 as a mono overhead, the C-1000 on snare and the D-112 either inside the kick or if there's no hole, on the front of the kick.

cheers guys. yeh its for a jazz trio (piano, drums, bass guitar), very professional level so consistant velocity drum strikes etc.

vintagetobes said:
cheers guys. yeh its for a jazz trio (piano, drums, bass guitar), very professional level so consistant velocity drum strikes etc.

How you mic the kit will depend on weather you have isolation or not, the room, etc..

What kind of Chinese condensers are they?

I have had success with a mono overhead mic pointed toward the snare, and a stereo (XY) pair a few feet in front of the kit about 3-4 feet high. If the Chinese SDC's are any good, they would suffice for this. You can move the mics closer or further depending on how much room sound or other instrument bleed you have to deal with. A stereo overhead pair and a single mic out front works too, just depends on the room, the kit, the player, etc.

Bottom line: I would concentrate on finding two of those mics to use as a stereo pair, and one other mic to bring our more detail / fill in the middle of the stereo image.

Ok thanks. I dont think i made myself clear. This will just be for recording drums. The other two instruments will be done afterwards. Cheers

I use oriental mics & I would use 2xSDCs in X/Y config & LDC about 3-4 feet in front of the kick

BTW what chinese mics are they???

I use SE electronics myself

vintagetobes said:
right, or you could answer my question. These are not my mics, they are the ones available to me to record a jazz kit... Any real suggestions fuckwit?

"...wondering how i should use the available mics..."
Sound familiar? I offered the best advise you're going to get regarding crap-ass mics...especially for such a rookie question. My god...do we need to come over and show you which way to point the damned things??? Experiment genius. You have a shitload of Chinese variables to be mutiplied by an unknown room, divided by an unknown kit and squared by an unknown drummer..... What's wrong with you? Oh wait, I get it...you told some drummer you could handle a recording session, now you're crammin' to catch up. Brilliant. Here's a little advise...the power button is on the back of the mixer.

Dumbass.

fight fight fight fight fight fight............................................................................................................................ :eek: :D :confused: :D :eek:

settle down...settle down...

Aside from recommending refraining from insulting each other, I would like to add that starting simple may be a good way to go. Try 2 OH's and see if that gets the sound you want. Move 'em around. No? Add in whatever is lacking. That D112 on the beater side of the kick never fails for me.

breathe....breathe...

TheBigGiantHead said:
"[the power button is on the back of the mixer

ahem mr.red rep.................not always

nevermind

I recently (as in last night's mix session) got an A-one drum sound from 2xSE2200a's in XY config & an AKG solidtube about 1 1/2 in front of the kick (in an SE reflexion filter!!!!)

I got that sounding as good as it was going to get & brought in the other mics around the kit, just to bolster what was already in the 3 mics rather than being the bulk of the sound

albeit it's not a jazz track it's a country shuffle thing about a girl from glasgow getting it on with elvis parsley (fictional of course) but the 3 mic method proved to be most satisfying all round to start off with

in order to maintain that jazzy vibe though I would advise against close micing anything really & go with the room (assuming your room is acoustically sweet!!!!)

slidey said:
in order to maintain that jazzy vibe though I would advise against close micing anything really & go with the room (assuming your room is acoustically sweet!!!!)

Agreed, as long as you are not too far away if the drummer is using brushes.

leddy said:
Agreed, as long as you are not too far away if the drummer is using brushes.

indeed..................here's a plan for future reference

set up 2 sets of (3 mic method mics) one for brushes & one for the sticks

assuming one has the spare tracks (I do) & of course the mics

Back