simplicity...

So i just recorded some drum tracks and I am much more satisfied with the results. patience is a virtue, but its also a bitch. thank you for sharing your knowledge.

what if.......

iwonder what if you just smeared that idea with an XY, ya know set the mic's up over tom 2, pointing at the snare instead of in-between tom 1 and 2 centered. that could possibly eliminate what annoys me about XY mic'ing a kit.
(re: other thread about XY mic'ing a kit)

i never just think of these simple things, don't like the stereo spread... move the mic's stupid. :rolleyes:

giraffe said:
iwonder what if you just smeared that idea with an XY, ya know set the mic's up over tom 2, pointing at the snare instead of in-between tom 1 and 2 centered. that could possibly eliminate what annoys me about XY mic'ing a kit.
(re: other thread about XY mic'ing a kit)

i never just think of these simple things, don't like the stereo spread... move the mic's stupid. :rolleyes:

Nope, there's nothing stupid about doing it that way - hundreds of thousands of recordings have been done that way - the key is to constantly think outside of the box. I 've recorded without overheads, and I have recorded with the entire kit mic'd - including a K&K cymbal microphone on every single cymbal.

For me - I consistently look for ways to capture the drumsound that I hear with my ears. I know how I like the drums to sound - it's just a matter of learning how to get it to show up on tape like that - and this overhead set up came the closest to what I was looking for.

I can't believe none of you guys have explored it. Please, read through John Sayer's website - the guy is a complete genius!

Tim

Last edited:
use the mic you originally had where you would put it and also use the other mics, then you can combine the sounds as needed

Back