simple drum question

Eddie N

10 Inch Member
now...ive seen drum sets before.. but , i dont know the names of the individual drums..i know the relatively easy ones , bass and snare.. but what are the kick and toms ? and all the lil cymbal thingys ?

thanks for any help..and dont tell anyone that this post is here..i feel kinda funny about it...hehe

oh..and if any guitar guys lurk past this , heres another easy one.. whats a humbucker ? is that just a doulble pick up ? im a little confused...

thanks again..
- eddie -

Hi, Kick is the bass drum. Toms is short for tom-tom. Refers to all the drums except kick and snare. The rack toms are also called the tenor toms and they're the ones mounted above the kick. The floor tom(s) are to the drumer's right (assuming righthanded drummer setup).

Hat is shorthand for Hi-Hat. It's the 2 cymbals mounter above each other on a rod which is attached to a pedal. They can be closed by the pedal. Seen to the left of the snare.

Other cymbals you'll commonly hear are the crash, splash and ride. Crash is usually to the left of the kick, and ride to the right. Ride is played like a hi-hat, constant rhythm. Crash is used for effect. Same for splash (think of it as a smaller crash). There can be multiples of each type, depending on the drummer's budget. Hardly anyone will play with just a crash or just a ride.

Another type is the China (used to be called a Pang when I was a pup). It looks like it got stepped on. The edge is turned opposite the curve of the bell (dome in the center).

Hope this wasn't too basic.

O.K. I'm a guitar guy so I can't resist!

A hum-bucker has two coils (unlike a single coil) that are wound reverse to cancel out 60hz hum. Twice the magnets and wire also equals (almost) twice the output.
So, rule of thumb:
Heavy music (distortion) you need a humbucker preferably at the bridge.
Clean God like sound you need a single coil at the neck. (love my strat!)
For Jazz a humbucker will get that darker sound and take the twang out.
hope this helped...

Viking_______________________________________

BTW: They did make a triple coil pick-up. It can be heard on songs like ' Jet Airliner ' by Steve Miller ( he had a custom 78' Ibanez Iceman with a very-tone switch! ) but for some reason the sound thin to me. Ihad the chance to play a vintage Iceman with the triple coil and it didn't sound as good as the single coil.

thanks guys...that really clears up alot for me...those were 2 simple questions that i didnt know that i should know....

- eddie -

Back