Roland TD-10 vs Alesis DM Pro

If I could choose between the two I would select the TD10 - the ability to adjust so many of the sound parameters allows for whatever custom sounds anyone could want. The TD10 also has a lot of on board processing - and while this may not be all that important in a recording environment - it does allow you to process the drums inside the TD10 and not have to commit your other studio processors (leaving those other processors more avaiable for things like vocals, guitar tracks, etc.)

Thanks for the insight. The processing issue is a good point. I'm assuming the TD-10 has onboard effects and compression? I think the DMPro only has reverb,EQ and pitch. I am leaning towards the TD-10 mainly for the 8 direct outputs. Is it expandable? I see the DM PRo has a card slot of adding more samples.

The TD10 is expandable by adding the TDW-1 chip (which you questioned and I responded to) in a seperate thread.

Thanks for the insight. The processing issue is a good point. I'm assuming the TD-10 has onboard effects and compression? I think the DMPro only has reverb,EQ and pitch. I am leaning towards the TD-10 mainly for the 8 direct outputs. Is it expandable? I see the DM PRo has a card slot of adding more samples.

The TD-10 has all that and then some. I'm partial to Roland, they've been nothing but awesome for me. The roland also has a memory card slot, but I beleive it's for saving / copying / restoring the thousands of settings. I think the TD-20's allow you to play your own samples off the memory card. As said, the tdw-1 expansion card gives you a bunch more suonds and drumkits. The TD-10 sounds great, esp. considering how long ago it first came out..

Right Mike, sorry. I believe you said the TDW-1 expansion dealt with mainly cymbals. I misunderstood. Does the expansion allow for future samples on the TD-10?
I surely am leaning to the TD-10 and I'm watching Ebay for a better deal
...althought there seem to be a few sweet deals on a DM Pro for under $200 ...decisions, decisions...

The TD10 even with the TDW-1 expansion does not allow for any future expansion - Roland introduced the TD20 a couple of years ago and that is now the premier kit - any future expansion will be designed to support the TD20 (until the next "new best thing" come out.

The TD10 is now a 10 year old machine (although still a fine machine) - so Roland has moved on.

I did indicate the primary advantage of the TDW-1 was to allow use of the next generation cymbals and it does provide some better cymbal sample.......but it does provide an entire bank of extra drum/precussion sounds (I don't recall - but I think about 600 extra sounds)

One other thing the TD10 has that I don't think the Alesis has..........a bank of general MIDI sounds (bass guitar, piano, horns, etc. etc.) - so while you are triggering drum sounds on MIDI channal 10 - you could also be triggering melodic sound on other MIDI channels.

Back