Roland Super Natural Kits

Meclazine

OK,

Looking at buying a Roland Super Natural series kit in the next 6 months. Maybe something from Santa for the tree.

In particular, the TD-11KV and the TD-15K have taken my fancy.

These things sound like a dream, but wanted some feedback from anyone here who (a) plays the drums and (b) has tried these kits out.

The main advantage of a digital drum kit at this stage is:

(a) My sons can learn the drums without driving Mum around the twist (further...)
(b) They can be easily recorded through an audio controller and mixed in your favourite DAW. In this case, Ableton Live.
(c) The module on the kit is very versatile for different sounds and practicing etc.

I think versatility is the number one benefit of these kits.

My questions relate to the outputs mainly:

1. Can each individual Cymbal, Tom and Snare etc be allocated it's own unique identifier when using MIDI to reallocate the tones using PC software?
2. Can the whole kit output through a 1/4" jack to an audio controller and sent to studio monitors? Using KRK 10" which are perfect for bass and guitar.
3. When outputting sound, is it a passive signal which needs a boost at the audio controller inputs?

Thanks.....

I have not used those specific kits - but I do own a Roland TD10 - I must anticipate the functionality is similar.

Each pad (kick, snare, toms, cymbals) triggers a specific sound with is assigned a specific MIDI note. If at a later point you want to use the MIDI performance to trigger different sound from software or other modules - as long as you assigned the correct MIDI notes - everything should trigger

I do not track actual sounds under I'm ready form my final 2 track mix - I simply track the MIDI notes and then feed those back to the module. I will sometimes trigger software or other hardware sound modules and I rarely encounter problems.

You should be able to assign all the sounds to a stereo analog output of pan everything to one side to assign all the sounds as a mono analog output and feed that signal to whatever amplification system you chose.

The signal coming out is a line level signal so you would likely chose to amplify that signal using a preamp or whatever your partiular system allows.

Cheers X,

Definitely keen to get my hand on a kit shortly. They are quite expensive, so have to budget for it, and save my money.

Hopefully, one comes up on the second hand music websites in my area in the not too distant future.

My questions relate to the outputs mainly:

1. Can each individual Cymbal, Tom and Snare etc be allocated it's own unique identifier when using MIDI to reallocate the tones using PC software?
2. Can the whole kit output through a 1/4" jack to an audio controller and sent to studio monitors? Using KRK 10" which are perfect for bass and guitar.
3. When outputting sound, is it a passive signal which needs a boost at the audio controller inputs?

Thanks.....

1. Yes each pad can have thier own midi note, actually each zone (like the bell of the ride vs the edge) can have thier own note. Even the cheapest roland kits have this.

2. Yes there is a stereo pair of line outs on both the TD11 and 15.

3. There is a volume control on the module that controls the line outs.

Alright,

Say hello to the world's newest drummer.

Roland V-Drums V-Tour TD-15KV Electronic Drums Demo - Sweetwater Sound - YouTube

Picked up a 15K set today, and the fighting amongst my sons has already started.

I though pickups were easy to lose, but they have managed to lose our first set of sticks already.

Sounds great. Just need to find a way of securing the bass drum and kick pedals as the music room has a tiled floor.

Will buy a mat and see if that holds it.

Back