Rogers XP-8 "big R" 20 inch floor tom

DTBlalock

I recently acquired a Rogers XP-8 "big r" drum set. The size are as follows:
14 rack
15 rack
20 floor tom
24 bass drum

I was looking in to researching the set and could find absolutely nothing or no one that could tell me anything about the 20 inch floor tom. anyone seen these before?

i could be interesting if it has the a good set of heads to balance out the sound of the HUGE toms. have you played them yet(you said you aquired them) how do they sound

tbone36109 said:
i could be interesting if it has the a good set of heads to balance out the sound of the HUGE toms. have you played them yet(you said you aquired them) how do they sound

The 20 inch is the only drum I don't use. It is missing the bottom hoop and it has seemed impossible to find one to replace it. I reheaded all the other drums and they sound great. I use the 15" rack as the floor tom right now by mounting it to the ride cymbal stand.

DTBlalock said:
I recently acquired a Rogers XP-8 "big r" drum set. The size are as follows:
14 rack
15 rack
20 floor tom
24 bass drum

I was looking in to researching the set and could find absolutely nothing or no one that could tell me anything about the 20 inch floor tom. anyone seen these before?

If you will go to Drum Supply House (click the banner in my link) and you can get an 8-lug 20" floortom hoop for around $25 or so.

Put a pinstripe on the top and an ambassador on the bottom. Tune the bottom tighter in pitch than the batter, and your 20" Floor tom will have tons of punch and low end.

Tim

I had a friend back in the 80's who ordered the Ludwig Octaplus set and added a 20" Floor tom, all with silver-dot heads. He mounted the 18" and 20" floor tom on a stand so that the drums were all suspended in a loop around him. It was the most amazing kit I had ever seen!! Loud too!! All chrome on maple, 24"x16" kicks, toms went 6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16,18,20. 13 piece kit in total with the snare. It took up 1/2 his beadroom.

I would try every fill possible from the 6" concert tom all the way down just trying desperately to get to the 20" floor tom.

sigh... :)

What fun!!!

jaykeMURD said:
Man, I've played kits with KICKS smaller than that!!!!
A 20" Tom, that's just wicked!

The only problem with the 20" floor tom is that 8 lugs really isn't enough lugs for it - you really need at least 9 (so they would just go with 10) because there are dimples in the head a little bit because the lug spacing is so far apart.

So if you tune the drum really low - it is totally "flopping". That's one of the reasons I tune my kit higher than most would.

That said, there is nothing like a 20" Floor tom - it's killer sounding! :D

Tim

i would be really interested in hear a 20 inch floor tom ..... that being said, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR RECORD US SOME SAMPLES hehe ;)

Tim Brown said:
The only problem with the 20" floor tom is that 8 lugs really isn't enough lugs for it - you really need at least 9 (so they would just go with 10) because there are dimples in the head a little bit because the lug spacing is so far apart.

So if you tune the drum really low - it is totally "flopping". That's one of the reasons I tune my kit higher than most would.

That said, there is nothing like a 20" Floor tom - it's killer sounding! :D

Tim

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Even some 16" toms need more than 8 lugs, in my opinion.

Back