Rides

Anything that has a little bit of spread to it (i.e. isn't too thick) will make a nice crash-ride. If it's really heavy and ping-y crashing on it will probably sound really harsh. Generally, the thinner it is, the more crashy it will be.

I don't like crash/rides generally

What the previous poster said is correct, if the cymbal is too heavy, it will not crash well. That being said, those cymbals that are sold as dual purpose (crash and ride) tend to do both poorly. You are much better off getting a ride that you really like and then picking up a good responsive crash cymbal. Buy well and don't waste your money on entry level (ZBT, B8, etc.)
cymbals, they won't ever sound good. Buy one at a time (not packs) and show up at the cymbal room at your local retailer with a pair of your sticks and try out everything and only buy those that really "speak" to you. Even on sale, expect to spend no less than $300 for two really good cymbals.

I agree; cymbals that are labelled "Crash/Ride" usually do neither particularly well. However, I do have a few rides that also have very nice crash properties. You can find them if you look around and play on a lot of them. Good advice Rimshot--definitely use your ears and not your eyes when picking out a cymbal. EDIT: And make sure you like it as a ride cymbal first and foremost!

Really you can "crash" or "ride" on ANY cymbal--they're all meant to be played that way; the label only designates what its primary purpose would be.

Avedis Zildjians are good, 18" or 20", but as everyone says - use your ears! Buy the best you can afford, but don't be afraid of 'cheap' cymbals if they sound good, I prefer my 35 quid Stagg crash to a lot of 'pro' cymbals (for example).

Paiste RUDE crash/rides are made just for that purpose. I don't own any, but I've messed around with them and heard many live. They sound pretty good when you "ride" them.

Yes they can

Don't limit your search to cymbals that have the words crash/ride on them. There are plenty of rides that crash well and a few crashes that ride well depending on the context.
For rock I like the 2002 series a lot. You can bash the edges and they sound great. And, of course, they make a purttie ride sound also. Older Zildjian As tend to work well.
For lighter music I use a 19 inch A-Custom with two rivets. Sounds great!
I also use a 20 inch Paiste Traditional medium light ride that does both very well, although it is a bit dark for heavy rock.

Take some of the previous advice with a grain or 5 of salt. A cymbal can indeed sound excellent when struck on the bow (ride) and on the edge (crash). You could get a ride and a crash, but then you would not have that crash/ride sound that SOOOO many drummer have used over the last 100 years or so. Some gerat examples:
Buddy Miles with a Band of Gypsies (not sure but I think he used Zildjian As) – He almost exclusively crashes his ride cymbal
John Bonham (2002s or Giant Beats) – crashed the snot out of his 24 inch ride
Bill Ward
all jazz drummers
There are so many…

I recently bought a 22" Paiste 2002 Power-Ride and it crash-rides like a demon. It's super loud though. You need to have a light touch when crashing it.

ya, like the first week I got my 2002, my ears were practically bleading. Since then, Ive either lost a certain amount of hearing, or hit it softer lol....

I still have an 18" and a 20" Paiste Formula 602 set of crashes that I purchased new back in 1968 and they are the only non- Zildjian cymbals that I still use regularly. Most of my cymbals are Custom A's except for my rides which are large vintage Avedis.

Back