Ride Micing

Rich606

I've been debating on micing my ride. ( 22" Zildjian K )

One of my favorite drummers Taylor Hawkins always mics his under the cymbal for more of a Bell action type sound.

What do you guys suggest?

I used to mic my ride BUT I get the results I want from 2 LCD's (these days) in XY config

however if I was I'd use some sort of SDC the only SDCs I have are AKG C1000s they are OK-but!!. I suppose one advantage is the direction cap

& some sort of hyper cardioid mic would be good as well

I once used a K custom 22 & I felt it was a touch quiet, mind you that was live...................in a fucking loud hip hop style band

under the cymbal will give a heavier kind of sound usually. on top will give more stick attack and articulation. if i mic under a ride i use a ldc a foot away give or take, and generally use in a mix laid back to fill in the space...not an upfront kind of thing. if i mic on top i use a sdc about 6 inches away pointed at the bell. great bell attack then. depends on the playing style, the song, etc. but that's a great ride and will record great.

I move my overhead closer to the ride and if you like 'close mic the cymbals' Instead of using my overheads to capture the entire drum kit i only use them to capture my cymbals as i have mics on each drum so there isnt really much need. It works really well, especially on the bell. Its suprising the bell sounds loader when i record it than when your playing and close micing the cymbals really makes them stick out from the mix. BTW i dont mean record it really close i mean put one overhead each side of the kit and put the O/h about 40-50cm above the highest cymbal. I usually point it at the ride bell but it doesnt really matter.

If I mic the ride, I do it with an SM57. Placed about 1 or 2 feet above and 1 or 2 feet away from the edge of the cymbal, and pointed at the base of the bell / top of the bow (Actual distance varies with cymbal). This signal is then mixed with the overheads (which I try to get the body of the sound from. The SM57 is just to add a bit of definition).

Back