Removing Snare Ping

sirpunkly

Hey, I was wondering what the best solution is for removing nasty snare ping and ringing. Which skin to tighten/loosen, what works best basically. Is moon gel the best way???? Tape?? Let's here your solutions. Thanks, Dave.

Tune it so it sounds good and forget the ring at first. Then you can go a few routes... moon gel is certainly one of them. What I use for more general purpose ring control when I am not in the mood to really be precise as you can be with moon gel is to use something like a RemO.

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/2/599/604/dh_remos.html

If you are resourceful, have five minutes and a decent pair of scissors or snips, you can make your own RemO out of an old drum head. For instance, take an old 14" snare head and cut off the collar along the line where you can see the bearing edge was hitting. Then, you can cut out the center leaving a 3/4"-2" ring. The wider the ring, the more ring control you will get. You can do the same things for toms if you need to chill out the ring a bit. I use single ply heads on my toms which sound great live, but can get a bit too ringy for close mic recording. Here I also use home brew rings like this from time to time.

I hate O rings, in fact I detest them in every way..............mind you that's just me

IMO moongel is the key or some sort of external dampening pad that you can tighten up to suit

Yeah, rings can over do it many times and turn the drums into thuddy crap. So, as always, use your ears.

I have a 14" taye studiomaple snare and it developed a ring all of a sudden. I got new heads for top and bottom, evans hd dry vented on top, and there was still ring, so i ordered new die cast hoops, new snare wires, remO's, and moongels. the new hoops didnt take care of the ring but the remO's got it done. the moongels i use on toms but i couldnt get a good balance of dampening with them on the snare. I threw on the smaller remO that came in the pack, and it was perfect. You should give them a try.

TheBigGiantHead said:
Best way to remove unwanted ring?

GET OUT OF THE BASEMENT AND PLAY WITH OTHER MUSICIANS!!!

Then it becomes wanted, no...needed ring.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the gient big twat strikes again

how you doin' Mr. Heid

I use an Aphex parametric EQ. :eek:

Just dial in the exact frequency that's ringing, and then broaded the width of the bell just enough to get rid of the ring, an then back it off just a hair - that way the drum still has a tiny bit of ping - but you won't notice it in the mix, and it will add character to the snare.

Tim

TheBigGiantHead is obvioulsy a...

HUGE FUCKING DICK!!!

Therefore his name and foreskin are appropoe!

but don't feed the trolls ladies and gentlemen!!!

Here's a thing

the giantbigtwat is so good at giving people a slagging I think he deserves good rep

I just gave him good rep

he's so damn good at being nasty it's like comedy :D :D

When I get a bad snare ring I can seem to get rid of most of it by Tightening that round knob on the side of the snare that controlls that arm connected to the piece of foam that presses against the Top Skin..(I have been playing for allmost 20 years and I still don"t know what that thing is called..LOL)

That works for me but I also put quite a bit of Duct tape on my snare and use Dampening rings on 2 of my toms.....

Cheers

:D

Minion said:
When I get a bad snare ring I can seem to get rid of most of it by Tightening that round knob on the side of the snare that controlls that arm connected to the piece of foam that presses against the Top Skin..(I have been playing for allmost 20 years and I still don"t know what that thing is called..LOL)

That works for me but I also put quite a bit of Duct tape on my snare and use Dampening rings on 2 of my toms.....

Cheers

:D

that'll be the internal dampener.................not all drums have them

moon gel & duck tape otherwise OR an external dampener

Just buy a pre-cut snare damper, they are cheep and you cant beat them (joke).

Then tune both the bottom and top head to get the tone you desire.

-Stew

Back