Recording Zoom 234 drums

fluridium

I'm a newbie, so please bear with me.
Using the Zoom 234, is there a way to separate the drums in the output for recording onto different tracks once the entire song is made on the machine. If not, what's the best way to create and then record songs on the unit?

I use the 234 with midi control, creating sequences of indiv. tracks and then recording to audio tracks. Dont know if you can seperate them by itself......I dont think so

Possibly not

I had the same problem when making patterns on the 234, all gung-ho till i realised it would have been ideal to to record them to individual outputs.

I doubt the 234 is sophisticated enough for that, im not sure about the new Zoom drum module, which appears to be a damn sight better for only £199, or whatever it is in $??

I did ponder the idea of pieceing them together by recording the pattern on several empty patches and then deleting the opposing drum signature, leaving you with 5 or 6 patterns each with its own drum on, then record them one at a time to separate tracks. Plus of course you'd have to create patterns with as many bars as the entire song. Which would be hugely frustrating to edit. From my point of view i have some fairly simple but intricate drum patterns that would possible take up most of the memory. You'd also i guess have to delete each one after once you've record them all to make room for a new song. What you do there after is up to you. This seems to be painstaking but it avoids spending anymore money, something i often advocate on limited income.

Alternatively of course, depending on your method of recording you could look at software drum editors like LM4, Battery or FruityLoops.
This curiously enough is a route i have been looking at lately, however none of them seem to have a decent pattern editor or quantize function so seem to stop short of ideal.

Even more removed you could learnt play drums and save up for a kit and some mics, every possiblity counts, ahem. I have all of these and still can't make up my mind....

i thought so

i figured that i'd have to put each drum (a group of similar drums) in it's own pattern for the length of the song. what a pain!!! it's time to save up for a new machine!

Just to add to my first reply, if your using a software based recording program with midi tracks, you can in fact instruct the zoom to play each portion of the drum kit seperatly. In other words you can have bass and snare on one track, rides and crashes on another, toms on another and so on. You can also mix with different kits using any sound in the module.

The new Zoom 323 has regular L/R outputs and Sub L/R outputs. The manual says you make just the bass, kick drum, or snare go through the Sub L/R outputs so you can record them as separate tracks. It also has left and right faders and some other nice features. I've done all my recordings with the 234 but maybe its now time to upgrade.

My mp3's with the 234

TO stealthtech

Sounds easy to 'instruct' the zoom module, but seeing as i never got my head round midi is this easy or just plain tricky. Or am i just thinking the wrong way about it i am as keen as fluridium to solve such similar problems, and i am recording to a sequencer/recording software with midi....

Probably more difficult to answer simply but who knows,

cheers.

Re: TO stealthtech

staticmigration said:
Sounds easy to 'instruct' the zoom module, but seeing as i never got my head round midi is this easy or just plain tricky. Or am i just thinking the wrong way about it i am as keen as fluridium to solve such similar problems, and i am recording to a sequencer/recording software with midi....

Probably more difficult to answer simply but who knows,

cheers.

Well, there are several ways to do this. And I guess it depends on the software your using. But I can record each sequence one at a time, setting up as many midi tracks as I like to chl. 10.
I will record bass n snare on one, rides, hats, toms, crashes,effects and what have you on the others, and then convert each track to an audio track where then I have control over each part. Volume, pan, effects, etc...

Back