recording toms!!! fun fun...

nascentjunkie

alright, so hear is my question/what i want out of this thread... I have recorded a lot and enjoy my mixes and recordings and such... only thing sometimes i don't like are my toms. The sounds of them are fine. Its the bleed through I get from the cymbals/etc... I know how mics work and all that jazz and understand acoustics/etc... And I know how I like to mic them. What I want to hear is how everyone else does who owns a "pro" studio/your recordings sound good.(commerically/pleasant to the ear) Just so I can experiment a little more and maybe be nodded in the right direction. Thanks for posting your opinions/experiences!!

For my toms and bass drum, I have the gate turned so far off, it almost does nothing. I have a pillow over my bass drum so all the mic does is capture the bass "trail". My toms probably pick up my cymbals a lot, but my overheads do what they dont.

I use 4 mics. 2 overheads, 1 snare and 1 kik. No gates, no compression while tracking.

Try using only dynamic mics on toms pointed AWAY from any cymbols. Also try using a gate. You should aim for the tom hits to be 15db above any cymbol crashes. This way you could gate easily.

pappy999 said:
Try using only dynamic mics on toms pointed AWAY from any cymbols. Also try using a gate. You should aim for the tom hits to be 15db above any cymbol crashes. This way you could gate easily.

ya know... thats funny i never thought of checking the leds for the cymbals/toms as in comparrison of dbs.... that is sad. that is really what i needed! haha. Thanks.

If you're recording on the computer, if you get really keen you could set mute points on the tom tracks so they are only live when you are actually hitting the toms. More useful if the cymbals are pretty loud in the mics and they're hard to gate..

Back