Recording newbie

chicken gutz

I'm sure this question has been asked more than once here, but I'm ready to set up for recording and need some equipment advice. Nothing commercial or top of the line stuff. Budget is the key.

I'll most likely be using an Alesis 8 channel USB mixer / interface (don't have the model number handy) to go straight to my PC.

My question is which mics would be best all around for drums as well as vocals, acoustic guitar, mic'd amps, etc. On the drums, I plan on using two overheads, plus one on the snare and one on the bass drum. I would need two of these mic's to double on the guitars and vocals when I'm not recording drums.

So what cheap mics would you recommend for this?

Thanks

beware that the usb mixer only outputs your 8 inputs to 1 stereo track (possibly 2 mono tracks) into the PC.
Not 8 individual tracks.

I guess that's OK. I've used a friend's unit to record my drums through his Alesis USB over a bass track recorded seperately and stored on the PC, then added my guitar track the same way. I'm basically going to use the Alesis USB mixer to combine / mix the drum mics to one track anyway.

It'll just be me playing / recording one track at a time, then mixing it using Cubase LE.

OK Ez_willis normally hits a thread with this one "use the search function"

& I beat him to it...........................sorry Ez :p

because you're right it gets asked a lot, even in the time I've been lingering amongst the threads I've seen a fair bit to cover your questions

I notice your new around ere' as I was once (& still am to a degree.............the token Scot ;) ) anyway go & have a search & it'll amase you what is in the past threads

best mic for polka.........................

chicken gutz said:
I'm sure this question has been asked more than once here, but I'm ready to set up for recording and need some equipment advice. Nothing commercial or top of the line stuff. Budget is the key.

I'll most likely be using an Alesis 8 channel USB mixer / interface (don't have the model number handy) to go straight to my PC.

My question is which mics would be best all around for drums as well as vocals, acoustic guitar, mic'd amps, etc. On the drums, I plan on using two overheads, plus one on the snare and one on the bass drum. I would need two of these mic's to double on the guitars and vocals when I'm not recording drums.

So what cheap mics would you recommend for this?

Thanks

be aware, that bad mics = bad sound, if you really want to sound good go for good mics and dont spend a hole lot on a work station, but mics are the key.

Back