Re release of older pro kit

This thread is based on a response I got concerning Yamaha Tour Custom drums, made in japan, 20 plus years old.

Tour Customs were definitely pro kits back in the day.

I can't remember their exact composition. I'm thinking it was a birch/mahogany combo, but don't quote me on that.

Coincidentally, Yamaha is re-releasing the Tour Custom line this year. They will feature all-maple shells. The drums will be manufactured in Yamaha's factory in Indonesia and will be a mid-range kit similar to the Gretsch Catalina kits and the Mapex Pro Ms.

My question is When these older, somewhat respected kits are re released made in indonesia, does the 'mid range kit' refer to quality? price range? both?
Just because it will now be made in indonesia does it mean that thequality of wood used will be lower? shittier glue tecnique?skimping on hardware ?
Surely if yamaha had a good product with the TOUR CUSTOM line then when they decide to re release them under that name they would be EXACTLY the same or otherwise they would call them something else? I realise that making them in japan now would not be financially feasible considering the competition out there to supply we spoiled first world brats with cheap products, but to be honest, when I see the 'made in indonesia sticker on drums these days I am somwhat dubious. Can someone more educated in the ways of the world please enlighten me?

It means...
the state of manufacturing in the 21st century is such that a "mid-level" kit of today, is on par if not better than a "pro" kit made 20 years ago.

Furthermore...unlike 20 years ago...the country of origin has nothing to do with quality. Equipment, supplies, raw material...everything necessary to build quality drums, can be shipped to or found in, any hole in any corner of the planet. People are people, and can be trained to perform labor to the same standards necessary to produce quality drums in the US, Germany or Japan...even if they make 11 cents an hour.

Back