Quieter Drumming

DaveX

I have my studio in an old mobile home that I rent. The place is about 50 years old, and built surprisingly well. It looks like a green sausage. Anyway... I have a set of drums that I use for my recording purposes. The problem? I have neighbors. I should mention that there is really only one close neighbor, who is across the drive from me, and the others are a few homes down. I'm trying to figure out how to quiet down the drums a bit so I don't run into problems. I make very weird music anyway, so often I don't need a full-on drum sound... but I do want to make use of the bass drum, etc... which naturally results in loud attack noises emanating from within the confines of my area, possibly resulting in pissy neighbors, police visits, broken nose, you name it.

Yes, I realize soundproofing is an option, but I am also a (say it with me) BROKE COLLEGE STUDENT, so I haven't the means to do so. Is there a way to muffle drums, or make them work at about half-volume? I'm already playing with brushes...

I am also curious if anyone knows anything that can be done to cymbals to get a different noise out of them.

DaveX

Have you tried using "dead ringers" yet?
In case you never heard of them, they are round plastic inserts that mount underneath each drum head. They have a little valley that holds a spongy-type of foam rubber. Using these should help considerably.
In addition, you can get some duct tape and a standard size handkerchief (or cotton rag of the same size)... fold it up, and tape the folded rag to the lower side of the drum head at the 6 o'clock position.
That should help alot.
If not, I suggest you sell the acoustic drums and get something like the Yamaha DT Express electronic set. That way you can line straight into your recorder, a P.A., or just jam out with headphones without disturbing the neighbors. They cost less than a thousand bucks.

Thanks for the info... I thought about electronic drums, but I really didn't want to get into that just yet. Hey, another thing I am curious about is drum triggers. Do these work by just putting them straight on the drum, then attaching a 1/4" cable to effects, etc? Or are they MIDI only? I really have no clue what they are, so I'm surely saying stupid things. Please help!

DaveX, who is not as dumb as this post makes him appear.

Hey DaveX,

Yes, these triggers are only to trigger MIDI events. I use to put a trigger on the kick and use a sample from the Alesis D4. Worked pretty well, but if I were going to go that route again, I would probably just buy a totally electronic kit. But then again, you could quiet down the kick considerably through muffling and if you already have some midi gear that can do this, it might work for you.

Dave,
I started my studio when I lived in an apartment. I went with the electronic drum route. The drum sounds are pretty good except the cymbals. I live in a house now so I can use a full live set if I need to. I have spent a ton of money on my electronic set and I like the flexability MIDI provides that I have a 50/50 solution. The drums are tigger pads hooked to an Alesis DM5, and the cymbals are recorded live. I think this may be a good solution for you. I think cymbals are easier to mute through wall coverings than drums. What is nice about my setup is that I can add more electronic drums or live drums as the session requires.

I have had similar problems with noise, but worse, I live in an apartment on the second floor. I know others have recommend this but I also think elec drums would solve this. And if on a budget check Logiztix padz.com they have instruction on how to build your own pads for about $25 a piece

Call me old fashioned, but I would rather disturb the peace then trash my acoustic kit. As far as different cymbal sounds, what are you looking for? There is a huge array of special effects cymbals on the market (ice bells, china types, etc.). If you're just working with what you have, try adjusting the mobility of the cymbal on the stand, screw that sucker down! Effects like phaser and flanger (ala Kashmir) can be fun. Mic proximity, type of mic, and EQ are all variables. Can you be a little more specific about what you are looking for?

I'm broke! I can't hardly get electronic drums, I just bought regular ones!

Now that this has been said...

I guess I'm always looking for new sounds that you can make out of old instruments. Like putting alligator clips on guitar strings, and striking the strings with a metal knitting needle for bell tones. Or putting two cymbals together, and striking them like one... whatever. More or less, things I can do to alter what I already have, instead of "things I can do when I add to what I already have"... I have a basic set, five piece, with a crash cymbal, and a hi-hat.... Zildjins.

DaveX

It's not ruined if you get good sounds out of it. Sizzle cymbal? Nifty. I may try that... I think I can scrounge up older, more worn out cymbals to do the job...

DaveX

Get a drill with a metal bit. Put some holes around the cymbals. Add some nuts and bolts through the holes: sizzle cymbal. This does, however, ruin the cymbal.

Fire up the soldering iron and blob various chunks on the cymbal. This does, however, ruin the cymbal.

Ah, the price we pay.

Back