Question about pain in the wrist....

tubedude

When I play a kit for about 20 minutes, I develop a weird pain in my left wrist. If you make a fist, turn it sideways where your thump is on top, the pain would be on top of the wrist about an inch from the wrist joint and feels to be about 2-3 inches in lenght. Kind of almost feels like its on the bone itself in a way.
IS this normal for beginners? A technique problem? Something worse? Whast the word?

How do you hold your sticks...

Standard or that jazz style way?

How long have you been playing?

do you warm up before?

I get this too, but I've been playing for 5 years. It just started a few months ago.

I can't just switch over to traditional either.

I hold them standard I guess. I dont know if traditional is for me though. Seems weird. I'm really not even sure the technique on that.

This could be a bad thing, geet73, like carpal tunnel, although I dont wanna think about that.

i plây drums since 6 years or so, never had much problems with my wrists,
i play with light jazz sticks, don't like the fat rocksticks

i play very souple, and yes, sometimes my sticks just fly out of my hands,

my drumteacher told me some techniques one day, had to practice alot cause it DID change my style of playing

the difficult thing is; i just can't explain in text how to do it,

just loose and souple(is that an english word?) don't hold them like if they were the last sticks on earth,
and yes, i can even hit my drumkit REAL hard without hurting myself,

i don't always use my wrists, lots of the time i just hold the sticks
between my THUMB and my index finger, NOTHING else,

the three other fingers just go "up and down", they make the stick move,
when the stick hits the batter, it goes up automaticly,
this way you can play even without moving your arm or wrist,
yeah, even without moving your index finger and thumb,
just by moving those three other fingers (fast or slow;;;;)

this is just one of the things i do, maybe i'm fucking up my own wrists,
don't know, just don't have much pain right now so i think i'm doing fine

lets call this the finger technique :D

just my two cents,

cheers,
Ear

Are you relaxed when you play??? I used to have the same problem, I grabbed the sticks as if they were the last pair I have and used the wrist a lot. Watch Dave Weckl´s Back to basics video to see how he hold his sticks. There are certain strokes that need the wrist, the whole arm or just fingers but relaxation is a must to perform all type of strokes. Don´t press your sticks just hold em' and let them bounce.

earworm said:
i plây drums since 6 years or so, never had much problems with my wrists,
i play with light jazz sticks, don't like the fat rocksticks

i play very souple, and yes, sometimes my sticks just fly out of my hands,

my drumteacher told me some techniques one day, had to practice alot cause it DID change my style of playing

the difficult thing is; i just can't explain in text how to do it,

just loose and souple(is that an english word?) don't hold them like if they were the last sticks on earth,
and yes, i can even hit my drumkit REAL hard without hurting myself,

i don't always use my wrists, lots of the time i just hold the sticks
between my THUMB and my index finger, NOTHING else,

the three other fingers just go "up and down", they make the stick move,
when the stick hits the batter, it goes up automaticly,
this way you can play even without moving your arm or wrist,
yeah, even without moving your index finger and thumb,
just by moving those three other fingers (fast or slow;;;;)

this is just one of the things i do, maybe i'm fucking up my own wrists,
don't know, just don't have much pain right now so i think i'm doing fine

lets call this the finger technique :D

just my two cents,

cheers,
Ear

Ditto, Just hold the sticks with your thumb and pointer finger (the one next to the thumb) it does work and will give you quick blisters, but after a whle of playing they will turn nice'n hard.

Never grip the sticks like you are sqeezing out a turd, its all finess.

Always warm up and stretch before you play and wear ear plugs if you have a full set.

tubedude said:
I hold them standard I guess. I dont know if traditional is for me though. Seems weird. I'm really not even sure the technique on that.

This could be a bad thing, geet73, like carpal tunnel, although I dont wanna think about that.

I don't either.

Meh.. I guess I should go to a doctor about it soon. It hurts when I play some realllly extended chords on guitar too. Ehhh.

Hey TamaSabian- you dont have that video to sell do ya? I'd probably buy if from ya.

Anyone know any other videos that are REALLY good?

The Vicfirth site is killer with stuff but it takes me 20 minutes to get about 20 seconds worth of material. It sucks.

SorryTube I don´t have a copy to sell ya.
The Vicfirth site is killer with stuff but it takes me 20 minutes to get about 20 seconds worth of material. It sucks
Patience man!!!. Do you have a band to play???. Playing with different bands, and performing different styles helped me to improve my skills. Now I don´t practice too much with the whole kit, I used to dedicate 1 hour a day to do some exercises and patterns. Now I just use my pad and sometimes go to the drumset to play something.

Back