Playing to a click.

Bdrum

What is everybody using as far as a click track?
I'm trying to get Cubase to work but fighting with the editing....
sooo I have my metronome going thru the mixer.
:cool:

Fruityloops or another drum program--- export to a .wav file.

Bring it into your sequencer as another audio track.
Mute the track when you're done recording so you can use it again if you have to.
(No sync problems if it's just another audio track...)

In the studio we were just in we used the nuendo click, but at my home studio i use a reason synth with c5 for the 1 beat and c4 for the rest of them just on the default subtractor setting.

If you are going to do any editing, you should use the click in the daw or have a drum machine clocking off the midi from your daw.
Some drum machines have notoriously bad clocks (Roland) and if the drum machine's version of 120 bpm isn't the same as your daw's, you will have a hell of a time setting up the grid to edit.

I use Sonar 3 for a DAW, and I just insert Reason as a Rewire device and use the ReDrum drum sequencer with a sample of whatever works best in the mix. One drummer actually liked it better when I gave him a hi-hat chik as his click track... go figure...

Are you guys using 1/8 notes,double the B.P.M.?
I'm new to these clicks, but like the Hi-Hat click sound Idea.
My friend uses the stick click with 1/8 notes,TD8
Interesting about the the Roland. :cool:

Use whatever is comfortable for the specific song, it'l lchange though 4/4 is what I usually use.
Cowbell is the only thing you'll be able to hear well, really. Hi hat samples you will get lost easier. Cowbell has major cut.

If the song has a 1/4 note groove, use 1/4 notes. If it has an 1/8 note groove or goes between 4/4 and 6/8 time, use 1/8 notes.

Does anyone else ever notice that it's harder to play to a click track that's just a click? It seems to me that I need to play to something that has a longer sustain, like a beep, otherwise it gets hard to hear. I have a pair of metrophones and those things are just impossible.

T

we use cakewalk Home Studio 2004 XL AKA "Sonar Lite", we set up a midi track of 1/4 notes the length of the project and select an appropriate instrument from the drum map, usually cowbell or wood block, something loud and clear with a sharp attack.

I use a loop I made with my SR16 drum machine and Acid Pro. Cowbell on the quarter notes, shaker on the eighths. Acidized so I can easliy change tempo.

Back