OK, so I'm getting new heads...

regebro

Insane Genious!
What should I get? It's a reasonably good Tama set, and with the clear single-ply heads I have now, I can't get rid of ringing overtones. I want a much deader sound, and it's for recording the set. I'm not close micing (I only have two good mics) but are gonna put the mics a couple of feet away.

The sound I want is a pop/rock-sound, suitable for music like Smiths, Blur, Popsicle, that kinda stuff.

I'm new at this, do you have any recommendations? I'm probably gonna buy the heads for one of the toms first and try them out before I buy for all of the toms, and I hope that also will give me some indication as to what I want for the snare/kick.

Whaddayousay?

Evans G2's on tops of toms, Evans resonants on the bottom - Any one of the Genera snare heads on the snare and EQ3 on the bass drum batter

OR

Remo Pinstripes on tops of toms, Clear Ambassadors on the bottom - Powerstroke 3 on the snare and Powerstroke 3 or 4 on the bass drum

Hope this helps...

I pretty much go with theletterq's suggestions, same thing I've been using except for the snare head, evans G2, EQ3, dixon snare head, or a genera). If you want a REALLY dead sound pick up some Evans hydraulics, for that (evans description) "fat, wet 70's sound".... their pretty hideous heads but guarantee they will not ring (or have any tone or life to them at all :) ) Avoid them. You can control the ring without killing the tone with some careful tuning and minimal damping. I've been using half of a kleenex folded again in half attached to the rim of the drum or sometimes taped directly onto the head near the edge. On the bottom either nothing (usually some damping on the bottom head of the floor, mine tends to rumble) or about the same amount of kleenex taped. Takes a lot of time to get any kit to sound half-way decent. All easier said than done.

Emeric said:
I pretty much go with theletterq's suggestions, same thing I've been using except for the snare head, evans G2, EQ3, dixon snare head, or a genera). If you want a REALLY dead sound pick up some Evans hydraulics, for that (evans description) "fat, wet 70's sound".... their pretty hideous heads but guarantee they will not ring (or have any tone or life to them at all :) ) Avoid them.

I thought this was kind of funny.
I like the Evans Oilheads.
On smaller drums, I could see what your saying, but on big drums, the Oilheads are great.

Tim

Hey, whatever works. I just never had any luck with hydraulics of any kind. Sounded like someone hitting a sofa and not a drum.

Emeric said:
Hey, whatever works. I just never had any luck with hydraulics of any kind. Sounded like someone hitting a sofa and not a drum.

I know where you're coming from. The thing is-when you start getting into using "thin heads" and no Muffling on 18" and 20" Floors- it gets a little too "twangy" (I'm not sure how to describe it), but you can get away doing it with oilheads.

Tim

Evans are so much better than Remo

There heads are the best by far. Evans is way ahead of Remo as far as how they make the heads. There heads last forever and sound the best.

Re: Evans are so much better than Remo

skapunkdrumkid said:
There heads are the best by far. Evans is way ahead of Remo as far as how they make the heads. There heads last forever and sound the best.

That's just your opinion, I prefer a Pinstripe/Diplomat combination over the G2/Resonant combo.

Different heads sound different on different drums-and sizes, so you have to find what works best on Your Set really.

Tim

At this point I'm really tempted to try Evans heads on my toms. I already bought an EQ4 batter for my 20" kick and I love the sound w/o the front head.

On my favorite forum (www.drum-talk.com) somebody said that an excellent head is Evans Genera Dry for snare top. I haven't tried it yet, but that'll be the next one I get.

Are Evans heads cheaper overall?

has anyone used Aquarian Studio-X. i use them and love them. they give a bit more of a muffled sound, yet my drums still sing.

Evans are more expensive than most.

EQ4 is a great kick head. Check out the EQ3 next time you replace heads, I thought it had a bit more 'kick' to it.... :)

Evans are a little more costly than Remo. I prefer G2's on toms, Dry vents on snare and EQ3 or EQ4 on bass. However, I used Remo Pinstripes on toms and Ambassadors on the snare for many years always got a good sound. I think since D'Addario bought out Evans the quality has improved. For a while in the 80's and early 90's I felt Evans was inferior to Remo.

I really don't like the hydraulics. They suck all the life out of a drum. Drums need to resonate. I much prefer a two ply head (with Moon Gel or tissue paper for extra muffling - if needed)

Aquarian makes really good heads. The Studio X's sound very good. I actual tried some American Vintage, for a jazz kit - much cool. However, Aquarian is a small operation with more limited distribution.

I've never tried Attack heads. Has anybody tried these - if so, how do they rate.

agree with mikeh regarding G2's on toms - I've just ventured into the land of Evans and I'm very pleased with the results

I used pinstripes for many, many years on my toms and compared to the G2s - they just don't compare in regards to resonance - the pinstripes give a nice "thud" while the G2s really let the toms sing (granted- I used the pinstripes on my mid-80's Tama Swingstar and the G2s are on my Yamaha Beech Custom - much different drums)

regarding Attack heads - I've only used one and that was a mid-weight coated on my snare - I think that it sounds great - very similar to a Remo coated Ambassador - but cheaper

my question for anyone that knows - The Evans G2s have that colorful oil-sheen in between the two heads - now I thought that these werent' hydraulics?? what's the deal?

To kill the really ringy overtones my drums gave, I took pieces of cloth and strecthed them acroos the shell under the rim. It leaves the drum with all the tone it had, but cuts off the ringy overtones. I use Pinstripes on the top, and some random heads (1 ply) that came with the kit on the bottom, I have 4 per drum, and I haven't run out of them yet (drums still sound great). I play a metal/rock type thing, and someones do some solo stuff that is very Sunny Day Real Estate-esque, and that sound on the toms is perfect. Cost me a little over $.25 too. Damn.

Jake

Color between G2 heads

To Pratt:

Haven't checked this site for a while - in answer to your question re: "sheen" on G2's.

What you're seeing is air. The two ply's become seperated and the air space gives the appearence of an "oil sheen". Technically, Evans would claim there should not be air space between the haeds. Evans claims their process allows for an air tight contact. The disadvantage of the air space is that it creates "dead spots" which can compromise the sound of the head.

Although Evans would content there is no air space you obviously have seen it on your heads. I have seen it on various Evans G2's - but I have not found it to effect the sound in a noticeable way. By the way, I've seen this in Remo 2 ply heads also.

My G2's have a "sheen" as well. I've also seen it on virtually every Pinstripe and Emperor out there. I'm seriously considering trying out Aquarian's Performance II's here next. They claim to have some sort of vacuum mechanism that makes sure there are no air pockets between the two plies before they are sealed. Anyone else use Aquarians?? As far as distribution goes, I almost exclusively get all my gear mail order and haven't had a problem finding them...

thanks mikeh

you learn something new every day...

I must add, though, that the heads still sound fantastic - even with a bit of "air space". I'm a believer...

Mikeh, are you sure the rainbow "sheen" means there's air? I'm no expert on plastics, but it could just be an effect created by 2 plies of plastic, even though they're vacuum-sealed. There's no way the two plies can be identical in density and texture and when light passes it could create that effect. Maybe you know that it's air for a fact, I'm just guessing here.

Gear Junky, you are correct that the "sheen" is created by the reflection of light on the plastic - but my understanding (and I could be mis-informed) is that the seperation of the sheets (ie: 2-ply) creates a miniscule air space which somehow emphasizes the light reflection, creating the rainbow affect.

I have to sign off now. I'm just a drummer, and when I try to talk technical my head starts to hurt!

Regarding Aquarian heads - I've used the Studio X and the American Vintage, both sounded very good. I recently sat in on another kit that had Performance II heads - very deep sounding.

Back