No midi, no samples, please evaluate.

PhilGood

Juice box hero
I am in the beginning of recording tracks for a friend in Canada via the internet. Though I'm probably not supposed to post this I thought I'd get opinions of the tracks I recorded for him. All he sent me was some guitar tracks and rough vocals to work from. He asked me to do a lot of percussion for this one, and although I could have played something off a drum machine or samples, I thought I would go the manual route and do it with all real instruments and mic everything. This was an interesting way to do it. I locked myself up all alone in the studio and ran the DAW from a laptop behind the kit via remote desktop.

Please tell me what you think.

link

I am in the beginning of recording tracks for a friend in Canada via the internet. Though I'm probably not supposed to post this I thought I'd get opinions of the tracks I recorded for him. All he sent me was some guitar tracks and rough vocals to work from. He asked me to do a lot of percussion for this one, and although I could have played something off a drum machine or samples, I thought I would go the manual route and do it with all real instruments and mic everything. This was an interesting way to do it. I locked myself up all alone in the studio and ran the DAW from a laptop behind the kit via remote desktop.

Please tell me what you think.

link

Sounds pretty good. I think the kick and snare are a little "dark" for the song. The kick can use a little more attack presence and the snare could use a little more snap. Bongos and shit sound good.

There's no EQ on anything. These are just the raw tracks.

You're right, they could be brighter.

Hi Phil, drums & perc sound very good to me. I´m listening through pc speakers and I can´t feel the kick. The snare was all over the place. If you´re going to send a rough mix of your drums my suggestion will be check the snare vs bd.
Nice tune BTW.
TS

The drums sound really good!

I think the percussion is not helping the groove... I gets in the way, is way to busy (IMHO)...

I think a shaker would compliment the track much better than the bongoes that you used... (I´m just guessing saying you used a bongoe):)

Do you mind sharing the signal chain and the equipment used on that session?

Thanks

Its bongos.

I did a lot of percussion to allow my friend to pull up what he wants and dial down what he doesn't. I just did what I assumed might help fill in the track.

The kick is a little low in my mix, but I wanted it kind of soft. Too loud and it over-powers the mix. I'm sending him each instrument as a separate wav file and he can mix it himself to taste.

TS, I don't know what you mean "all over the place". I hope it isn't referring to timing. I really don't want to have to play the track again and it seemed OK to me timing-wise. I don't practice as often as I used to and my ears are going.

As far as the signal chain, its pretty straight up.

Mics:

Toms & snare: GLS ES-57s
Kick: CAD KBM412
Overheads: (my special mods) MXL2003

all sent through a Ramsa mixer. Used the built in pres. No EQ.

Each track is sent individually to an input on the DAW. Toms are summed to 2 tracks.

I recorded the bongos with a 58. The triangle with a Superlux LDC. I didn't go crazy and pull out the top notch mics I have. That might of helped, but I wanted easy.

The softer middle tones and really deep tone of the lope are my toms played with tympani mallets.

Phil, sorry about my english. It sucks.
What I try to say is that the snare is too loud. The kick is so low that I can barely feel it. But this is your mix. If you are going to send the tracks to your friend and he will mix it by his own forget what I said.
TS

Last edited:
Couldn't really hear much at work but i'll have time tonight to have a listen in my studio...

Cool that you did all the parts 'pure' :)

(and sumpin about your sig quote seems vaguely familiar... lol)

:p

Back